DVD/CD-ROM drives with a yellow shreik/exclamation mark in Device Manager'

infocorp99

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I have two DVD drives connected to an XP desktop computer, however, the do not work.

They appear in Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives with a yellow shreik/exclamation mark preceding the listing.

The devices are also recognized in the BIOS setup.

When I click on the device in Device Manager, I get the message"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)".

One of the devices previously worked correctly. In fact, I completed a clean install of XP using it.

Just what does the error message mean? Does it mean that the devices are faulty & need to be replaced?

Initially there was one DVD drive connected. This drive worked over the past few days, but today, it stopped working & gave the error in Device Manager. I uninstalled the device driver & then reinstalled it, but without success.

I installed the 2nd drive to see if it would work. It also produce an error message in Device Manager.

The two drive were working some time ago, so something must have changed. The main change is that I installed a clean copy of XP using one of the drives!

What is the solution to this problem?

G

I would commence by trying to connect only one drive at the moment. Make sure it is set as the primary/master and correctly connected -- I'm using IDE terminology and you may have a later interface but you probably get the picture.

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS screen to check that the drive is being recognised at the basic level. Start Windows and see what happens.

Repeat with next drive. By swapping components you should be able to isolate whether the issue is with one drive or with the connector or (unlikely) with both drives. Or, possibly, with the motherboard.