Sign in with
Your question

Acceptable temps for E8400?

Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2008 3:40:51 PM

There are lots of posts and debates over this one. Might wanna try searching forums. Also, is it the stock cooler or aftermarket?

But for quick comparison/answer............mine idles around 30-35C and under load gets around 52-53C. That is measuring it with the same program as you(Realtemp). With stock cooler your temps seem fine. If it is aftermarket, seems a little high to me. But either way, seems to be within spec range. I have seen these processors run cool/hot and anywhere in between. I worried at first myself, but I just periodically check it and set motherboard to shut down at lowest temp for failsafe. Hope this helps a bit.
Related resources
September 26, 2008 4:09:35 PM

looks a bit high

i have my e8400 @ 3.8ghz and it doesnt go that high

but this is all according to CoreTemp
September 26, 2008 4:22:08 PM

That's a bit high for the config you have--especially without any overclock. Your CPU fan is solid, so that is not the problem.

Your case is solid if you have you have enough fans--which it DOES NOT have at stock. I don't think that it can do the job without adding one in front, and adding another on the side. By adding 2 screw holes and using the existing vent holes, you can add a 120mm fan to the side (much quieter than the 80mm fan that the current holes are pre-drilled for). The best thing you can do though is easily stick a 140mm fan in the front bezel for added cooling without any permanent modification--let me know if you need any details on this. A piece or two of folded cardboard will allow you to wedge the fan into the bezel, and it fits perfectly.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if my math is right, you are using the wrong TJMaxx. It is now known to be 100 degrees, whereas yours looks to be 95. That means your temps are actually 5 degrees hotter than what you currently think they are.

For perspective, I have a well-vented Antec 900 along with the same ACFP7 you have. My e8400 is running 24/7 at 3.85 GHz, and it idles at about 33/38 degrees (there's some funky 5 degree difference between cores), and runs 100% load at the upper 50s. That's with a VCore at about 1.34-1.35.

I also have the same AS5 as you do, but I honestly don't know how well it adds/subtracts from temps compared to other pastes.

Hope that helps--good luck!
September 26, 2008 4:58:18 PM

When I go into my bios this is what I am looking at:

V.core: 1.556v
DDR18v: 2.096v
+3.3v: 3.376v
+12v: 11.921v
Current system temp: 36c
Current CPU temp: 41c

------------------------------------

Robust Graogics Booster: Auto
CPU clock ratio: x9
Frequency: 3.0 Ghz (333x9)
CPU host control clock: disabled
CPU host frequency: 333
PCI express frequency: Auto
C.I.A.2: disbaled
Performance enhance: extreme
System memory multiplier: 3.00
Memory frequency: 800 1000
DRAM timing selectable: manual
5-5-5-15

--------------------------------------

Advanced timing control: all set to auto
System voltage optimized: auto
Normal CPU Vcore: 1.25000v

I disbaled C1E and EIST as well.

Does eveything look alright here. Just trying to figure out what is wrong. I am not that familar with setting up BIOS settings. Is 1.556 vcore high? If so how would I go about changing that and what should it be at?

September 26, 2008 5:05:30 PM

Your Vcore is way too high for no overclock. Should be in the 1.2V range.
September 26, 2008 5:06:33 PM

OMG!! Vcore is VERY high !!!! 1.556 IS WAYYYY TO HIGH AND NO OVERCLOCK!!!!If you don't overclock you should enable C1E and EIST and set vcore to auto. Normal vcore for 3 ghz is about 1.12 .
September 26, 2008 5:19:49 PM

Yeah--get that VCore down ASAP!!!

Recommended VCore max is 1.35 for 24/7 use. Obviously can go higher than that and the processor won't necessarily spontaneously combust or anything. But 1.55 is way too high.
September 26, 2008 5:22:45 PM

How do I lower it? I never changed it in the first place so not sure what to do.
September 26, 2008 5:53:57 PM

Try setting the BIOS to default and leave performance enhance on the lowest level. It is probably raising the Vcore. And/or you can set voltages to manual and set the voltage to a lower number. Do it soon.
September 26, 2008 5:59:18 PM

It might be one of these 2 settings that has done this:

Performance enhance: extreme
System voltage optimized: auto

First thing, set performance enhance to Normal or Off or Standard or whatever the 'baseline' is. Some times these supposedly user friendly overclocking options can jack up the vcore.

If that doesn't sort it out, you may have to turn the system voltage OFF auto, and manually set the vcore to something that isn't going to fry your processor.
September 26, 2008 6:10:48 PM

Nice, Over 20c drop.
September 26, 2008 6:12:50 PM

Oh, also, now you have done that, run prime, check for stability, then reduce the vcore a little. Repeat.

Set it as low as you can and still remain stable. You should be able to get way lower that 1.25 at standard speed. This should lower your temps further.
September 26, 2008 6:23:57 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I will post later to let you know how it goes.
September 26, 2008 7:06:17 PM

How long should I run these tests for before I end it and try a low voltage?

Testing 1.152v right now. As long as it says 0 errors and warnings everything is fine?

Dumb question: This is mostly a gaming pc, will having lower voltages hurt me when I load up a game like Warhammer Online?

Also, is running the blend test alright or should I be running one of the others?
September 26, 2008 7:39:04 PM

Thats scorching hot. I have a P4 3.06ghz at work thats based on the obvious old 90nm technology idling at 25c and goes to 38c - 42c max . That E8400 wolfdale also 3 ghz but on the latest 45nm technology almost 10c higher then my office desktop.
September 26, 2008 7:48:12 PM

benjaminm580 said:
How long should I run these tests for before I end it and try a low voltage?

Testing 1.152v right now. As long as it says 0 errors and warnings everything is fine?

Dumb question: This is mostly a gaming pc, will having lower voltages hurt me when I load up a game like Warhammer Online?

Also, is running the blend test alright or should I be running one of the others?

I find that the likelihood of Prime crashing decreases with the length of time I run it. Some will say run for 8, 12, or 24 hours. Obviously if you're doing some rough tweaking, you can't wait this amount of time between changes.

My approach has always been: make the BIOS change, run Prime for 10-15 minutes, if it looks good, then you can tweak BIOS again. When you start getting to the point where everything is good, and you have the BIOS settings where you want them, THEN do some longer stress tests.

As to the gaming PC question, Prime 95 will stress your CPU and memory more than a game.

I've had my PC in a state where it's stable for gaming, but not Prime 95 stable. So you get Prime 95 running smooth, gaming should be a breeze.

The other variable (not tested by Prime 95) that comes into play is the GPU. So long as this is stable, and you've not o/c'd the PCIe frequency, you should be fine for gaming.
September 26, 2008 7:55:03 PM

Prime95 will put 100% load on all your cores, something no game will ever do. At least not usually.

If your CPU can handle Prime95 for a long period of time then gaming will be fine. Just make sure temps are fine and leave it overnight, go to work/school or similar and if it's fine when you're back then it should handle any amount of gaming.

The fastest way to find proper voltage is to start low and go upwards from there, because too low voltage will give errors faster while with too high voltage you'll have to run the entire test until you realize you could have gone lower to minimize temperatures.
September 26, 2008 8:40:00 PM

Another question, is there any reason I should have C1E and EIST on? I have only heard negative things about it as far as gaming is concerned.
September 26, 2008 9:31:12 PM

1.556 vcore on a 45nm, jesus crist. You need to check the VID of your processor and manually set the vcore to that in the BIOS. Its possible its lower than 1.25. The one I put in my wifes PC has a VID of 1.05 I think, its either at or below 1.1 Ill have to check.
September 26, 2008 10:08:23 PM

I'm running mine with 1.18750 OC'ed to 3.6 GHZ perfectly stable.
If you are not OC'ing you should have C1E and EIST on .It saves power and keeps the cpu cooler when not loaded
September 26, 2008 10:47:55 PM

benjaminm580 said:
Run Small FFTs. that gives you maximum load and therefore heat.

cyber_jockey said:
Thats scorching hot. I have a P4 3.06ghz at work thats based on the obvious old 90nm technology idling at 25c and goes to 38c - 42c max . That E8400 wolfdale also 3 ghz but on the latest 45nm technology almost 10c higher then my office desktop.
First, he is measuring the core temperature and you are not. Second, your mobo may be reporting the wrong temperature, it's not that uncommon. Third, and less likely to be in great disparity, you don't know what the ambient temp is in each case.

!