Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking 4 cores on Phenom II 550 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
August 29, 2009 12:31:51 AM

Are there any Asus mobos or Msi mobos that are capable of unlocking the 4 cores on the 550, and if so which ones? Is it possible for any of the new 785Gs to do so as well?
August 30, 2009 6:43:22 AM

I just bought one of the new Gigabyte 785G mobos and my X2 550 unlocked easily.

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 31, 2009 6:11:22 AM

^Congrats! So many people having luck in unlocking cores, It's amazing! :p 
m
l
August 31, 2009 4:51:03 PM

Don't use Asus mobo for this, they get Hypertransport sync flood error. Go with MSI and forget Asus.

I have unlocked my X3 720 BE to a X4 and I get stupid sync flood error even if the system is stable for at least a day. Prime 95 doesnt report any error at all on all the 4 cores, but Asus mobo got BIOS problems leading for a system crash.

I don't need my 4th core for now, so I will unlock it when I will play game in 1080p.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 7:55:09 AM

Or go with Gigabyte! :)  :p 
m
l
September 1, 2009 3:36:22 PM

videl said:
Or go with Gigabyte! :)  :p 
I got a personal horror story with Gigabyte, so that leave them out of the picture >:p 

Seriously, my 965P-DS3 died on me 3 time in less than 12 months at stock settings. I don't want to live that again. I couldn't have my computer for at least 4 months due to RMAs.

In my book, Gigabyte can go to hell, especially after I bought a Asus P5QL pro because there was no way I would put back that joke back in my PC case. I have build the same computer... 4 times... a nightmare.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 8:38:55 PM

I don't know...my board is great so far (GA MA770T UD3P) I even overclocked my 550 to 4Ghz on it (and unlocked the two cores)...maybe that board that you had just had a bad design...
m
l
September 1, 2009 8:50:09 PM

Dont know much aout unlock core on phenoms but I can recommend Gigabytes. I've got mb on 945(max fsb 800) which works at fsb266 NB vcore raised +0.3V for over a year now. It's horribly hot but works great. My father sells pcs and staff like that and I can say that there are more defective asus boards than gigabytes.
m
l
September 3, 2009 12:55:19 AM

thats really stange szymek because there was a news article that asus computer are the most reliable on the net, I take the other end of the discussion, I have had both asus and gigabuyte and while gigabyte are good the asus i find are better
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2009 3:03:02 AM

None of the manufacturers/brands are perfect. As long as you got what you were looking for and as long as it works, be happy!
m
l
November 19, 2009 6:00:47 PM

Do I need some supercooling+++ to run 550BE that has been unlocked to quad, or will it work with just the original cooling system?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2009 7:14:43 PM

redgarl said:
Don't use Asus mobo for this, they get Hypertransport sync flood error. Go with MSI and forget Asus.

I have unlocked my X3 720 BE to a X4 and I get stupid sync flood error even if the system is stable for at least a day. Prime 95 doesnt report any error at all on all the 4 cores, but Asus mobo got BIOS problems leading for a system crash.

I don't need my 4th core for now, so I will unlock it when I will play game in 1080p.

As far as I know the SFE issue has been fixed with the new Bios update.....
m
l
November 19, 2009 9:30:10 PM

My unlocked quad works fine in day to day use with the stock cooler. However, when I run Prime95 on the quad, my temp spikes to 65C within 2 minutes. As a dual core, I run much cooler. I just purchased a GIGANTIC Sunbeam cooler, that I'm planning to install soon. Hopefully, that will cure the runaway temps under full load.

m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2009 5:34:52 AM

I am running GIGABYTE MA770-UD3 board with phenom II duel cores unlocked to quad and clocked to 3.33 ghz on stock cooler and am getting only 4-5 degrees difference from stock duel core setings
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2009 6:23:44 PM

zwierdo said:
My unlocked quad works fine in day to day use with the stock cooler. However, when I run Prime95 on the quad, my temp spikes to 65C within 2 minutes. As a dual core, I run much cooler. I just purchased a GIGANTIC Sunbeam cooler, that I'm planning to install soon. Hopefully, that will cure the runaway temps under full load.

What voltage did you give the CPU? the X2 550 runs fine as a stock x4 B50 with stock cooler 3.1/3.2Ghz, if you are considering a high overclock as a B50 you will need an aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler is too crappy to keep it cool as a quad....
m
l
!