Sign in with
Your question

New PC, No Signal Display, No HDD Lights - Please Help

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2008 12:29:22 AM

Hi all,

I'm really hoping one of you can help me, I put together my new PC today, I was excited at first about having some new hardware for the first time in 4yrs.. but that excitement turned into stress and anguish, I guess I undertook too large a project :( ..

I'm using the following:

Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i
Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Samsung 22x SH-S223F DVD±RW SATA
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO
500GB Western Digital Caviar - 16MB - IDE - 7200
Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 XMS2
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU

I set it all up, which was a painful process, the ASUS Formula Striker II was not too friendly with me :( .. Anyway, I finished and plugged it in and immediately the motherboard lights came on, looking good so far! .. I then turned it on and sadly there was no display, at first I thought this was the GTX260, but then I came to realise that apart from the split second where the power is turned on, the HDD and other light are off. I switched the HDD cable to the secondary/slave connection and then turned it back on to have two permenant red lights, so at least that was giving me some kind of feedback.. makes me wonder why I have nothing when it's using the master socket of the cable, I even tried my old hard drive as well which I know is fine and it gave the same blank 'lightless' result.

I'm honestly at a loss and I would appreciate any feedback that could help me get up and running, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
July 25, 2008 12:55:36 AM

well it should still post... do you hear any beeps when booting up? do you have a lcd poster?
July 25, 2008 8:54:12 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I just attached the lcd poster, and I don't actually hear any beeps.. the poster shows only one message both when the system is off or turned on, which is: "CPU INIT"
Related resources
July 25, 2008 11:32:43 AM

I've been stripping it down to see if it will give me anything running on the bare minimum, but without on-board gfx im relying on my GTX260 still to give me some kind of display, and, I do wonder if the fact the fan on it is not running when the system is turned on means the card isn't working? - Still have no HDD light either.
July 25, 2008 6:16:56 PM

I had similar problem when i put my E8400 in the socket it was alligned correctly but the edge of the pcb on one side didn't quite sit in the socket and like u said it wouldn't post or do anything, could be the same problem. What color are the lights on the mobo, i have the asus rampage formula and it has indicator voltage lights that should be green if all is working well; i assume the striker II does as well
!