Sign in with
Your question

4870 Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2008 2:31:09 AM

I have a homebrew system (E6750, asus P5E X38chipset, 650w power supply).
Just yersterday I upgraded from an 8800gts to a 4870 visiontek.

I am running the card DVI>HDMI out and trying to get audio/video passthrough into my yamaha rv663 receiver.

The audio is extremely difficult to get working and is driving me insane at this point. The audio pass through only works on about 1 out of 10 driver installs (and yes I am selecting the HDMI audio output in sound properties; i have tried it set up in CCC to recognize TV)

Initially it did not work at all through my receiver so I connected it directly so my television; uninstalled then re-installed the catalyst drivers and it worked straight in the TV! Problem was once I changed the video source on the television (to my HDTV box), then back to the computer I would get video but I lost all audio.

So i go through the dirvers again (this time hooked into my receiver), and again the audio works but once sources are switched I lose all audio.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables (and all my cables work on all my other devices), updated drivers and nothing seems to work.

That is my first problem, I have no idea if the second is related!

While playing Crysis the Maximum resolution available in the graphics options menu is 1280x1024 (my older 8800 supported 1920x1080)!!! Even after going into the games config file and changing the res to 1920x1080 it still doesnt up it.

Can anyone PLEASE help me! I don't want to return the card as the performance is great and nothing else seems to match up; but if I cant get it working I might purchase a 9800gx2 (around 280 on newegg) since it does have a striaght HDMI output (though i cant find much on the audio out specs) but it doesn't seem to be as nice of a card all around.

More about : 4870 problems

August 16, 2008 1:52:31 PM

Anyone have ideas?
On another note I actually formatted using vista ultimate 32 still having the problem; and i formatted using vista 64 with no luck!!

Is my card defective or do these have cards outputting audio correctly?

Also has anyone experienced or know how to fix my crysis problem???
August 17, 2008 3:55:53 AM

I exchanged the card today, reinstalled my OS (vista32) used the 8.8 beta drivers and the audio is working through my receiver. I am still not going to switch sources while the PC is turned on; just incase lol!

I haven't had a chance to install crysis so i am just hoping at this point that it is going to let me run @ 1920x1080.
Related resources
August 17, 2008 4:18:54 AM

It wasn't the card....I can tell you that much....geesh
August 17, 2008 1:04:39 PM

Well unfortunately it appeared to be working; but it is not!
once the input is switched on the receiver or television I lose all audio!

Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers seems to be the only way to get it audio working again.
Looks like I am going to return this and wait to see if they release a nice card with a straight HDMI output, as I decided I don't want to go with a 9800gx2.
August 17, 2008 9:48:27 PM

For anyone who is interested:

I cannot run the HDMI output through my yamaha receiver; it just wont work for me.
So I ended up going HDMI to the TV and optical out to the receiver and its working perfectly!!!

Also i do think my first card was defective because the PC was constantly freezing while playing games (at low or high rez).
August 17, 2008 10:55:24 PM

Are you using the ATI provided DVI-HDMI converter. I hope you do if not that could be the reason you don't have an audio.

The other thing you need to check is your receiver set-up. You need select the proper audio-source for your receiver.

Base on your notes the audio seems to be coming out of the DVI/HDMI link thats why it works on your TV.

I use a DENON 7.1 receiver and for my case i have to program my receiver to specific digital-audio inputs (optical, coaxial, HDMI, or any of the analog inputs).

I experimented with a visiontek 3870 card several months back. I was able to get the audio through my receiver HDMI inputs. As i have stated i program my DENON receiver to HDMI audio source then i got the souncd on my DENON receiver.

I hope this helps..
August 18, 2008 2:59:31 AM

Thank you for the input.
I am using the provided DVI/HDMI link from ati.

Also I did select the audio input on the receiver manually (set to HDMI) and I tried every HDMI input on the unit also. Initially it would work with no problems. But when I switched sources on the receiver one of two things would happen:

1. I would lose all audio but still get the video signal
2. The television would say Invalid Signal (not no signal as if there is not a cable present) and I would get no video AND no audio.

Luckily going straight HDMI into the TV seems to have solved the problem using optical out to my receiver so i still get the 7.1 surround sound; honestly though I do not know if this is going to affect the audio processing.

Overall Im much more pleased now but not 100% happy with the way it is setup.
On the other hand the performance BLOWS away my 8800GTS640mb card and with it running through my deftec mythos gems games sound great :) 

The major thing that is bothering me currently is that crysis will NOT allow me to run @ 1980x1020 (its max is something like 1700X1000), but every other game will allow me to select that resolution!!!!!
August 18, 2008 5:15:24 AM

" But when I switched sources on the receiver one of two things would happen:

1. I would lose all audio but still get the video signal
2. The television would say Invalid Signal (not no signal as if there is not a cable present) and I would get no video AND no audio. "

==========================================

I'm not too sure about Yamaha... What i have is Denon a different brand but i would think the concept is the same. Please tell me if not following what you are saying. I'm a little bit confuse with what you are trying to do.

The way i set-up my Receiver is:
Source : TV...Then i program the audio source as HDMI-1. If i select TV on my receiver the audio source is HDMI-1. The receiver would play the audio from HDMI-1. If HDMI-1 is from the PC then that audio will come out on the receiver.

If i switch source on my TV say DVD... then the audio source on that is say " Optical-1. If I select the DVD on my receiver the audio source for it is Optical-1. The receiver would play the audio from the DVD player.

Is the HDMI-Output of your Receiver connected to your TV as well?

August 18, 2008 8:08:02 AM

Correction...

The way i set-up my Receiver is:
Source : TV...Then i program the audio source as HDMIhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia... -1. If i select TV on my receiver the audio source is HDMI-1. The receiver would play the audio from HDMI-1. If HDMI-1 is from the PC then that audio will come out on the receiver.

If i switch source on my receiver say DVD... then the audio source on that is say " Optical-1. If I select the DVD on my receiver the audio source for it is Optical-1. The receiver would play the audio from the DVD player.

Is the HDMI-Output of your Receiver connected to your TV as well?
August 18, 2008 6:37:35 PM

My Initial setup was as follows-

CPU goes HDMI to the receiver than receiver goes HDMI to the television.
I programed the audio source as HDMI-1. But when I would switch to the HDMI-2 input (my PS3), than switch back to HDMI-1 I would lose all audio. Sometimes even video (the TV would say invalid Signal).

I honestly can not understand why for the life of me it won't work they way I originally set everything up; but with HDMI straight from the PC to the TV and optical from the TV to the receiver everything seems to be working....just not my preferred way of setup.

August 19, 2008 3:45:25 AM

The reason you lose audio/video when switching receiver source assignment ....

When running Blue-Ray ( High Definition Video/Audio) The software is constantly checking for HDCP-Compliant hardware.

When you change the source mode of the receiver the software on the PC will stop due to the absence of HDCP compliant HDMI input.

To get back the audio try to restart your video/audio player to reconfirm compliance to HDCP. Take note software that use HDMI always check for HDCP compliant hardware.

Site you an example:
I play Blue_Ray or HD_DVD movie.... PC HDMI(video/Audio) to my receiver. Receiver HDMI to TV/HDMI.

Power-DVD always check for HDCP compliant device through HDMI. When the receiver source is assigned to TV/HDMI the audio/video is there.

When i switch the receiver from TV to DVD.... Power DVD stops... The message that it will leave is No HDCP compliant device. Video & Audio goes away.

To get the audio/video back i have to restart power-DVD with the receiver source set to TV/HDMI.

This characteristic is not unique to power-dvd. Any software that is to use the HDMI for video/audio will stop when it fail to detect the HDCP. HDCP compliant is check when the media is being played.

You need to try software(video or audio) that dont require compliant to HDCP and see if that will fix your problem.

I don't think there is a problem on your hardware.

The optical audio link don't require HDCP compliant to stream digital audio. Thats the reason it always work for you.

I hope this helps
!