Hard drive is gone after standby

bencahill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Okay, this is one of the weirdest problems I've ever seen a computer exhibit...

It's a laptop someone gave us (hp zv5410us, iirc) with a dead hdd, so we replaced the hdd, and it's been working fine (XP home) ever since. Just recently, however, after putting XP into standby, it cannot see the hdd at all on the next boot, even in BIOS, so it goes through all the boot devices until it hits the network (last), and does the PXE-ROM thingy.

I can disconnect power, battery, reseat the hdd, nothing helps, except if you try it a few days (weeks) later, it will work fine. It has so far done this thrice, although I don't believe the first time was standby, but hibernate.

I have not tried this drive in another laptop, nor another hard drive in this laptop, because I don't want to mess a hdd up :).

Does anyone have any input on this bizarre problem?

Thanks!

It's not a bizarre problem, it's a bug in XP. Many computers (not all) will malfunction if the computer is allowed to go into standby. Turn off stand by and hibernate to solve the problem. You can find the settings in the DISPLAY, screen saver controls.
We turn off the standby function routinely to solve this.

bencahill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

Wait, a bug in XP can affect the BIOS seeing the hdd, even when removed and re-inserted?

Even if this is so, I obviously can not disable standby because I cannot boot to the un-recognized hard drive :) .