Sign in with
Your question

HD4870 or Quad Core cause for insanely bright screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2008 9:21:06 AM

So I got my new build working for a little over a week now. Everything was working fine. Just a few minutes ago, I open up the computer to redo my thermal paste because I put too much. Now when I turn on my computer, it loads to Vista okay and looks fine for a few moments. After that the screen turns into this:

http://i37.tinypic.com/azj492.jpg

Anyone got a clue whats going on? My ATI drivers are the latest. When I opened the computer, the only thing I did was take out one stick of ram to free up some space, then took out the heat sink, then took off the cpu. I didn't clean off the paste with any chemicals, I just used a cloth towel and artic clean. Not sure if its even CPU related because now i get better temp in Real Temp.
August 16, 2008 9:22:02 AM

oh yeah here are my specs:

Q9450
HD4870
DDR2 PC1066 4gb 2x2 running in dual channel
GA-X48-DS4
Corsaird 750w
Vista Home Pro
August 16, 2008 9:31:47 AM

ok sorry about the picture, I looked at it on my laptop and it looked fine, what the screen looks like right now is basiclly the contrast and brightness turned all the way up
Related resources
August 16, 2008 9:37:18 AM

whats weird is that when i play a game such as DOD source or war3, the screen is back to normal but when i exit back to the desktop, the problem returns
August 16, 2008 10:24:28 AM

check your screen refresh rate, on some monitors a higher
screen refresh rate causes extremely bright, washed out
screens...mainly on the desktop.
Example:
Using an old NEC Multisync 70 crt monitor, running XP Pro sp2,
on a Nvidia 6600 Gt, with a P4 630 3.0 Ghz cpu... I use a refresh
rate of 60. When I, or some software alters the screen refresh
rate to 75 or 85 due to resolution changes, the colors and brightness
of the screen is drastically affected...from normal to super bright.

just a thought...but hey...ya never know...wot?
!