Sign in with
Your question

Get a 6000+, go amd quad, or go intel core2/quad?

Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2008 9:15:08 AM

My specs are Am2 4200 X2 @2.2 Ghz, M2n4SLI Mobo, Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX by XFX, 2 GB DDR2 @800 Mhz Corsair Ram, Windows XP 32 bit.

My am2 4200 doesnt cut it in the newest games and it bottlenecks my graphics card. What should I upgrade to? Links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! My Motherboard does not support Phenom.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 9:24:20 AM

what kind of budget do you have?

1. cheapest route would be to OC your current chip..
2. You could get a 6000+, but the performance isn't really that much better.
3. if your mobo supports phenoms, then why not.
4. the most expensive option is to get new intel mobo and core2, dual or quad, your choice. Dual is better at the moment (price/performance) but quad might be more futureproof. and OC it... :p 
September 27, 2008 9:42:37 AM

Around 300 would be my given budget. Not sure if my Mobo would handle the OC, last time I tried to do that it messed up my system and i had to take out everything from my motherboard, it finally turned back on. The temps clocked 100C !!!!! I just asked amd today to send me a new fan and they are doing that right now. I will OC as much as i can, if it messes up, it's what a $40 processor now that i can't even buy anymore? Nbd there. Just get a better one. But I'm saying will quad run just as fast/faster then current fast dual cores? Because I see Am2 6400+ at 3.2 ghz Dual Core vs say a 9950 Phenom @ 2.6 ghz for slightly more, but 2 more cores. Will the extra cores move in to make up for the less clock speeds?
Related resources
September 27, 2008 10:05:57 AM

If you feel like over clocking I would suggest getting an after market heat sink, this would help a great deal in keeping your temps a lot lower than with the stock HS.

I don't know if your MB supports phenoms, if not well the 6000 and 6400 are getting pretty affordable. Those should certainly help up to a certain extent but keep in mind that they are not very good over clocker.
September 27, 2008 10:06:17 AM

new amd cpu out dec 6500+ Dual Core and new Phenom x4 and x3
September 27, 2008 10:16:46 AM

My suggestion is to buy an aftermarket heatsink that is both compatible with LGA775 and AM2. Just for somewhat future proofing. Then overclock your current processor.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 1:04:52 PM

Cymus said:
Around 300 would be my given budget. Not sure if my Mobo would handle the OC, last time I tried to do that it messed up my system and i had to take out everything from my motherboard, it finally turned back on. The temps clocked 100C !!!!! I just asked amd today to send me a new fan and they are doing that right now. I will OC as much as i can, if it messes up, it's what a $40 processor now that i can't even buy anymore? Nbd there. Just get a better one. But I'm saying will quad run just as fast/faster then current fast dual cores? Because I see Am2 6400+ at 3.2 ghz Dual Core vs say a 9950 Phenom @ 2.6 ghz for slightly more, but 2 more cores. Will the extra cores move in to make up for the less clock speeds?

Most games right now won't show any improvement with a quad core CPU.
The exception currently being Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Supreme Commander both of which will show a vast improvement using a quad core CPU.
A quad core CPU will give you a better Windows experience overall and you can run a virus scan or encode video while gaming.It's better at multitasking.
A Athlon 64 X2 6400+ will be an improvement for you and a cost effective upgrade right now.It's the fastest CPU your motherboard can support.
As you stated your motherboard won't support any Phenom CPU.
You can check out Toms Hardware CPU Charts for benchmarks.
You could opt for a faster Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and motherboard but as you stated you are limited to a budget of $300.If you purchased another copy of Microsoft Windows that would leave you perhaps $200 left over for hardware upgrades which would be very limiting.

September 27, 2008 1:16:50 PM

I agree with most of the posters here. You should just stick to purchasing a fast dual core AMD processor if you already have the system infrastructure in place.
September 27, 2008 1:18:13 PM

Currently dual cores are still better than quads in most games due to poor multi-threading support and generally higher clockspeeds. This is slowly changing as more game engines become multi-threaded. In the case of an X2 6400+ vs Phenom 9950, gaming performance would be similar, the X2 is clocked higher but the Phenom is faster per clock.

Try overclocking your X2 4200+ again, I can't believe the CPU will hit 100C unless the HSF was faulty or you accidentally overvolted the CPU by 0.5V or something. :p 

If your mobo supports Phenoms (its an Asus right? If so it should, just update the BIOS) then that would be the way to go, if it doesn't then your choices are limited to a higher clocked X2, the 6000+ is not a bad upgrade option if it turns out your current chip really won't OC worth a damn.

As for Intel, its the most expensive option but also the fastest. With a $300 budget you can fit in a Q6600 + P45 mobo and still have some change left, at stock it'll be roughly equal to the Phenom 9950, but it has more overclocking headroom, especially considering Phenoms don't overclock that great on AM2 mobos.
September 27, 2008 1:27:08 PM

I would get the 6400+ it should handle games very well
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 1:59:36 PM

why does everyone think that when you replace your motherboard you need a new copy of your OS? The license for your OS is good for one pc. You can reuse the same OS as much as you want as long as it is only on one PC at a time.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 2:07:07 PM

For the best all around gaming experience on your current platform, without a doubt a faster dual core. For GAMING, don't waste money or time on a Phenom, as 4 cores won't help you nearly as much as raw clockspeed on dual core. (Unless you are mainly playing a certain game such as MS flight simulator that can use 4 cores quite nicely)

As several have mentioned, simply pop in a 6400+. It's not a Core 2, but it's still plenty powerful and will go great with your GPU.
September 27, 2008 2:12:10 PM

BadTrip said:
why does everyone think that when you replace your motherboard you need a new copy of your OS? The license for your OS is good for one pc. You can reuse the same OS as much as you want as long as it is only on one PC at a time.

Because when you change motherboards, Microsoft considers it a new PC. And with a retail version MS will cut some slack but alot of people have OEM version, and MS wont cut as much slack.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 2:33:45 PM

all you have to do is activate by phone. there is an option asking if you just changed the motherboard.
September 27, 2008 2:37:59 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Because when you change motherboards, Microsoft considers it a new PC. And with a retail version MS will cut some slack but alot of people have OEM version, and MS wont cut as much slack.

I've heard from several people using the OEM version who simply told microsoft that they had a motherboard failure and didn't have too much trouble talking the rep into allowing them to activate again.
September 27, 2008 3:02:17 PM

Get the 6400, ride it out for awhile while saving for a new system, they are right only supreme commander and flight simulatorx(possibly the most boring game ever greated) use quads. With the rest of your systems specs you should be a gaming fool with a 6400+
September 27, 2008 5:46:28 PM

mtyermom said:
I've heard from several people using the OEM version who simply told microsoft that they had a motherboard failure and didn't have too much trouble talking the rep into allowing them to activate again.

:whistle: 
a c 135 à CPUs
September 27, 2008 6:06:33 PM

If your mobo won't support a quad, it may also not support a 6000+ or 6400+, because the PWM circuits can't handle the wattage and will fry.
September 27, 2008 6:29:18 PM

you could also look at an X2 5000+ Black Edition if its still available

unlocked multiplier, and you can OC it to 3ghz

September 27, 2008 6:41:35 PM

I had the same issue except with a 4200+ socket 939 CPU.
I used the heatsink below and can easily reach 2.7 GHZ. CPU bottleneck mostly gone except at low resolutions. It was fun as well. If it doesn't work well, hey you're only out about $25. Be carefull though
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC6PRO
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2008 7:01:44 PM

Yeah, those ol nForce4 boards aren't real good overclockers. Still better than those nForce3 boards. AMD really should have gone with VIA for launch partner on the Athlon 64, but anyway.

Yeah go with the Athlon 6000+ for $92. Heck go with the 6400+ instead, it's so cheap now. Get the OEM version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And put a good heatsink on it so you can overclock it a little. If you want to know what kind of difference you will get just check out the charts.
September 27, 2008 8:07:42 PM

yea the nForce 4 boards arent that great, old pc has M2N with nForce 430, board is way too flaky

locks up after 15 minz with any combo of 4 memory slots full :(  even got it RMA'd and the next one does same thing, useless
September 27, 2008 8:21:04 PM

jj463rd said:
His Asus M2N4-SLI motherboard does indeed support the 125 watt Athlon 64 X2's
according to the CPU support list at Asus.It's a AM2 type motherboard.He might need to update his bios.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

Ahhh! Finally, some accurate information!

Ok so the faster dually will work. I recommend you avoid the oclox cos u r obviously not too comfy with it - and you have already taxed that board, that board is older, and old boards tend to die due to capacitor boilover = meltdown - one day comes and poof. So do not stress this mobo. (recommend you do monthly backups)

Get some better cooling - esp case fans = cheap also, and will help preserve this older mobo. A 5600+ might be a good compromise - better perf and less power. The 6000 and esp the 6400 will require more power = more heat - get it? Heat is currently your personal enemy cos you already cooked up 100*. Play safe = be cool!

As for Phenom Quad. Forget it until you want new system, and then go for Deneb with AM3 and DDR3. Deneb is a major improve over Phenom.

Your board is AM2. Phenom is AM2+. Phenom will run in AM2 but not with all features - so it is a waste, and especially for old mobo - Phenom will draw more power, again tending to tax that old mobo.

Get a 5600+ or 6000+ if your ego insists. Improve cooling. approx $100.
Done. Enjoy.

A reinstall - or - a major cleanup of temp files and old junk proggeez might be in in order. Scan spam, spy, etc. RegVac clean registry. (if you think it's cleanup time). Defrag, etc etc. Take out the garbage.

If you are going to oclok, research oclox b4 you try it (cheaper). A mild FSB oclok is better than setting a landspeed record - esp. on an older mobo. Reality checks are a good thing :) 

Save pennies for Deneb. Enjoy gaming now. Peace.
!