Persistent clicking sound of hard drive

New Sun

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I got a new laptop, an acer aspire 8730, on september 13, 2009. All was going well untill i started to hear clicking, chirping, gentle scratching noises coming from the laptop. I followed the sound and based on my manual, it was coming from the hard drive. This has been going on for over 1 months and im quessing it isnt good for the hard drive. The clicking was loud enough to distract me at a distance of 35 cm from the laptop. So i looked for solutions. Im using vista so i turned off windows search, index, the hard drive shutting of after 20 minutes of inactivity, defrag, basically things hat require hdd acces. Nothing happened. Then i did an error disk. The sounds actually decreased but i also noticed the clicking was in rhythm with the hdd led. so i downloaded a software active smart and my disk health and performane were roughly int he middle of their bar. I really don't know what to do anymore and I really did look into this.

I am a computer novice. and the manufacturer of my hdd is seagate teachnology 500gb it id divided into two hdd or partition when i open up My computer

thx for any help, i would like to fix it before the problem escalates since this laptop was expensive.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Try the Seagate SeaTools utility (it is available at the downloads section on Seagate's site). If it fails the Long DST test you could send the drive back for warranty (or laptop, depending on the terms of the warranty of your laptop).

New Sun

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Thx for the response.

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.2.0.1 ---------------
10/12/2009 11:23:57 AM
Model: ST9500325AS
Serial Number: 5VE2LJ0A
Firmware Revision: 0001SDM1
Long DST - Started 10/12/2009 11:23:57 AM
Long DST - Pass 10/12/2009 1:47:09 PM

I passed, so what do I do with the clicking. Atleast the hard drive is fine though.

New Sun

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
hx for the replies, it was exam week for me. I updated my nvidia so im going to assume its "normal clicking" im happy that error disk cut down the sound alot.

Would firmware fix it and how would i find it for my drive. Seagate seems to fear it.