Building A New Computer, Would Like Suggestions

Hello everyone, I'm planning on building a new computer and would like comments and suggestions on parts and compatibility. I would also like to say that I have never built a computer in the past so I'm a "noob" at this. I don't really want to spend any more money and I would also like to keep a motherboard that has CrossFire in case I want to use two video cards.
Here the build...

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043

Radeon HD 4870 (not sure which brand I should get)
Might get another one on CrossFire later.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
Probably will get 4 more later.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827101131

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%2b900

Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009
Get $30 discount with antec 900 and the PSU on Newegg.

Need a monitor also, Anyone got any suggestions?

I would also like to add that i have never overclocked a computer in the past, if anyone would like to give me suggestions on overclocking that would be much appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about building computer suggestions
  1. 1. the graphics cards dont really change according to manufacturer i.e sapphire and Powercolour. what does change is things like warranty and price may differ by a couple 10's of pounds.

    2. moniter depends on gaming. im going to assume tht u game alot and want a moniter tht does your system justice.

    a poor moniter and u might aswell not spend all tht money on a top spec GPU so i would suggest something like:

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-009-BE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510&name=Belinea%20o.display%2024"%20Widescreen%20LCD%20Monitor%20-%20White

    and as for overclocking goes COOLING is your main objective sometimes standard case fans can be good at cooling but very LOUD!!!

    replace them with better fans that cool better and dont make such a big noise.

    and dnt even think about using the stock cooler with your yorkfield try a zalman or an ASUS

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&sortby=nameAsc&subid=821&mfrid=1

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&sortby=nameAsc&subid=821&mfrid=25

    the same with your GPU get one tht has an upgraded fan.

    they may not look to great but will help keep temps down and your overclock high
  2. Get a SATA burner, not the IDE one you have linked
    the antec 300 also has the $30 discount on the power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
  3. Quote:
    ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299


    Spend another $20 and get an x38 motherboard. Two full x16 lanes and great overclocking.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

    Quote:

    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043


    Buy this cooler and bracket:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=s1283
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019
    Maybe add some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

    Quote:
    Radeon HD 4870 (not sure which brand I should get)
    Might get another one on CrossFire later.

    Check fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net for best prices. People always post promo codes for an additional $20+ off.

    Quote:
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
    Probably will get 4 more later.


    You're never going to use over 4gb unless you do lots of high-res photo/video editing.

    Quote:
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

    Buy two of them, one for Windows and another for games. The system will be much more responsive and games will load very fast.


    Quote:
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%2b900


    Great case when it's on sale/rebate for $70-80, but at $119, I would rather have a Lian Li aluminum.

    Quote:
    Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009
    Get $30 discount with antec 900 and the PSU on Newegg.


    Buy.com has the best prices on Corsair PSU's, which I would rate above Antec.:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-750w-atx-12v-power-supply/q/loc/101/206178325.html

    Quote:
    Need a monitor also, Anyone got any suggestions?


    Go for a 24" since they have full HD res (1900x1200).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%201309821328&bop=And&Order=PRICE
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product