help, i've lost my memory!

I've had the same pair of 1gb gskill ddr2-800 installed since summer 06. Previously they were running in dual channel and showed up as 2gb in bios, cpuz, system properties, etc. Now suddenly, within the last couple of months anyway, I've apparently lost 512mb of memory. One stick is showing up correctly as 1gb and the other 512mb. I've tried different slots, each stick separately, and every combination possible in the 4 available slots on my m2n-e motherboard. The one stick shows up as 512 regardless of scenario.

Any ideas?
14 answers Last reply
More about help lost memory
  1. If the same stick always shows 512MB, then it's defective. You could get a replacement as that should solve your issue.
  2. i tried switching around the slots some more just to be sure. it seems that the one always registers as 512 when put in any slot by itself. the other always registers 1 gb when by itself.

if i insert both sticks, then either one may show up as 512 in cpuz. it seems totaly random when both are used. i'm not sure how accurate cpuz is at determining which slot is actually registering as 512. maybe it just knows the total is 1536 and assigns 512 to one of the slots at random because i can't see a pattern.
  3. Clear your CMOS?
  4. cleared and boot with potentially defective stick. 1gb still displays as 512 in bios, windows, and cpuz.
  5. Clearing the CMOS obviously can't fix a defective memory module. Just RMA it if it's under warranty or buy a new identical one.
  6. $48 buys you 2x2GB of very good DDR2-800.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731

Time to let it go... That stick of RAM is worth $12 or less. You've already spent more time on it than it deserves.
  7. true, but i'm a tight wad. if i spend $70 on memory and it turns out to be the motherboard i might kill myself.
  8. This is so obvious as to be painful. If one stick always shows as 512MB and one stick always shows as 1GB, then IT'S THE STICK OF RAM.

aevm already gave you the answer, stop being such a tight wad and buy it.
  9. That"s rather drastic.
  10. What's drastic, a bad stick of RAM, or getting a good deal on 4GB?
  11. louky said:
    true, but i'm a tight wad. if i spend $70 on memory and it turns out to be the motherboard i might kill myself.

PLEASE don't kill yourself. No motherboard is worth it :non: :non:

And yeah, I agree with Zorg, it's pretty obvious that the RAM is wrong. I bet your motherboard is just fine.
  12. One more thing: if you're playing games on this PC, you'd see a big improvement with 4 GB compared with 2 GB. Read this:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/5
  13. Zorg said:
    This is so obvious as to be painful. If one stick always shows as 512MB and one stick always shows as 1GB, then IT'S THE STICK OF RAM.

it's not always the same stick of ram when i look at cpuz, but like i said above i don't know how accurate that is. it's always the same stick if i put them in separately though so i guess mem is the culprit, not the mb.

Anonymous said:
    One more thing: if you're playing games on this PC, you'd see a big improvement with 4 GB compared with 2 GB. Read this:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/5

i went ahead and ordered a new processor, ram, and graphics card. i'll rma the gskill and end up with 4gb total once i get it back.

ps. if you don't hear from me again you'll know it was the motherboard. :sharpens knife:
  14. Right, I was referring to when you tested them separately.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dual Channel Product