How's My NewEgg Build List?

caseyizzle

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
good build but if your going to be gaming i don't recommend a quad core..especially since its only a 2.4 ghz, honestly. i recommend you get a 3.0 ghz dual core, like the amd 6000+ or the 6400+ and the amd m3A32-mvp deluxe mobo, trust me you won't go wrong! and if you wanna be an intel fanboy go ahead and get a core2duo. hahahaha :). good choice for video card btw, i have the same one its getting better benchmarks than the 8800gt by a longshot, can't go wrong with the 4850. oh and vista for gaming? go with xp sp2 for sure. anyways thats just my opinion cheers!!!

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
personally, i would drop the second pack of 4-gig RAM and use that money to get the HD 4870. i think that upgrade would help u out more than the ram (if ur going to be gaming alot that is)

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
That's quite funny, it's almost identical to my build!just I've got a 500GB HD ('cuz they don't have the 640 in my store) and I took a HEC PSU, antec 900 and a 4870.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
will you being upgraded to cross fire in the futre? cause if you do, you may want to look at a new MOBO that supports 2 pci express slots at 16x. Also if you do cross fire, get a 750tx PSU.
But if you don't do any cross fire you look good, except get a E8400 CPU and over clock if you want.

It is mostly a good build. Just a few things. Did you mean to choose 8GB of RAM (2x4GB kits?). That's quite a bit. It may help in Vista though; just checking.
Will the Zalman VF-900 work on that card? If so, great; it will be a lot quieter.
A 330W UPS seems a bit low for your system plus what else you're likely to have on it (monitor, speakers, maybe a small desk lamp). Also, you'll pay steep shipping charges on it. You might be able to pick up a 500W-700W unit locally that will end up costing about the same, or maybe less.
Do you mean to have two optical drives? If so, change one to a Retail (rather than OEM) version so you'll get the software, including a decoder.
Otherwise, have fun with it.

bsmith1310

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks everyone for your input!

good build but if your going to be gaming i don't recommend a quad core..especially since its only a 2.4 ghz, honestly. i recommend you get a 3.0 ghz dual core, like the amd 6000+ or the 6400+ and the amd m3A32-mvp deluxe mobo, trust me you won't go wrong! and if you wanna be an intel fanboy go ahead and get a core2duo.

Here's something that confuses me a little. In the CHARTS on this site, if you look at the 2007 CPU ratings in different games, the E8400 always beats out the Q6600. That makes sense to me, but I don't understand why in 'Prey' the E8400 gets 125 FPS and Q6600 gets 113, for about 11% better performance. At the same time, in 'Serious Sam 2' it's 180 vs 137 FPS for about 31% better performance. It seems weird to me that there's such a variable range of gained performance.

The only thing is that I also like to do some 3D rendering and the Q6600 would be better for that most likely.

Do you think that games will soon be made geared towards quad processors, and therefore make the Q6600 better?

oh and vista for gaming? go with xp sp2 for sure.

I know I'm probably the only one here that feels this way, but I like vista more than XP - just don't ask me to back this up with data :)

personally, i would drop the second pack of 4-gig RAM and use that money to get the HD 4870. i think that upgrade would help u out more than the ram (if ur going to be gaming alot that is)

Yeah, that would for sure be better for gaming, but I'm sticking with 8GB since I multitask like crazy on Vista, which uses a lot of ram quickly. The 4870 is tempting, for about $90 more, but I thought the 4850 would make me last 6 months or a year until their next generation is even better and cheaper.

will you being upgraded to cross fire in the futre? cause if you do, you may want to look at a new MOBO that supports 2 pci express slots at 16x.

The board I picked says it does CF. I hope I'm not making a mistake here...

Also if you do cross fire, get a 750tx PSU.

I might eventually... would my current 600W model would be insufficient:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

I might upgrade to this 700W anyway:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

Will the Zalman VF-900 work on that card? If so, great; it will be a lot quieter.

Thanks, it doesn't specify that it's compatible, but under the reviews there's a guy that says it worked well with his 4850 :)

A 330W UPS seems a bit low for your system plus what else you're likely to have on it (monitor, speakers, maybe a small desk lamp). Also, you'll pay steep shipping charges on it. You might be able to pick up a 500W-700W unit locally that will end up costing about the same, or maybe less.

Yeah, I might just get one from Best Buy or something.

Do you mean to have two optical drives? If so, change one to a Retail (rather than OEM) version so you'll get the software, including a decoder.

Yeah, I want 2 DVD drives, but what do you mean by "decoder?" Are you referring to a DVD decoder for movies?

Thanks again everyone!

-Brent

Yes, I did mean a DVD decoder for movies.
If you know you're going to do CF, I'd get the bigger PSU now, so you don't need to replace it at added cost (and time) later.

You may safely ignore caseyizzle's AMD fanboi post.

Your mobo does Crossfire, but at 8x rather than 16x. I'm not sure how much real world difference that would make. If you don't start out with Crossfire, chances are that in six months to a year there'd be a better single-card solution anyway. That's one reason I've never worried about Crossfire (or SLI) potential when I've built.

caseyizzle

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Here's something that confuses me a little. In the CHARTS on this site, if you look at the 2007 CPU ratings in different games, the E8400 always beats out the Q6600. That makes sense to me, but I don't understand why in 'Prey' the E8400 gets 125 FPS and Q6600 gets 113, for about 11% better performance. At the same time, in 'Serious Sam 2' it's 180 vs 137 FPS for about 31% better performance. It seems weird to me that there's such a variable range of gained performance

yes!! there is already 1 quad core ready game and thats crysis, i know that yes in the future the newer programs and games will start taking advantage of the quadcore.

TRENDING THREADS