"my documents" displays at startup

Following a problem with the One Button Checkup, which is fixed every day but
keeps occuring, I went to Msconfig and did a clean boot as advised by
Logitech. Now every time I turn the computer on, "my documents" show up. I
don't dare go to a Restore point...

Can you tell me how to get rid of this page?

Thanks a lot
14 answers Last reply
More about documents displays startup

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    Line 255 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Following a problem with the One Button Checkup, which is fixed every day
    > but
    > keeps occuring, I went to Msconfig and did a clean boot as advised by
    > Logitech. Now every time I turn the computer on, "my documents" show up. I
    > don't dare go to a Restore point...
    >
    > Can you tell me how to get rid of this page?
    >
    > Thanks a lot

    Hmmm... ok, but what do I do whith that?
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000

    In fact I was just reading all your warnings fronm a previous post (and I
    bookmarked some sites) with Registries. Once in a while I go there,.... when
    I know EXACTLY what to do. But in this case, I don't.

    Thanks for more details

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    > Line 255 - right hand side

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Following a problem with the One Button Checkup, which is fixed every day
    > > but
    > > keeps occuring, I went to Msconfig and did a clean boot as advised by
    > > Logitech. Now every time I turn the computer on, "my documents" show up. I
    > > don't dare go to a Restore point...
    > >
    > > Can you tell me how to get rid of this page?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot

    Hi,

    You should download Kelly's fix by right clicking the link and using 'save
    target as', then right click the download file and select merge. Agree to
    the prompt to install it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Hmmm... ok, but what do I do whith that?
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    > "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    >
    > In fact I was just reading all your warnings fronm a previous post (and I
    > bookmarked some sites) with Registries. Once in a while I go there,....
    > when
    > I know EXACTLY what to do. But in this case, I don't.
    >
    > Thanks for more details
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >>
    >> Line 255 - right hand side
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>
    >> "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Following a problem with the One Button Checkup, which is fixed every
    >> > day
    >> > but
    >> > keeps occuring, I went to Msconfig and did a clean boot as advised by
    >> > Logitech. Now every time I turn the computer on, "my documents" show
    >> > up. I
    >> > don't dare go to a Restore point...
    >> >
    >> > Can you tell me how to get rid of this page?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks a lot

    Hi,

    First I get "save LINK as", no target, then I never get merge. What do i do?

    Thanks

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You should download Kelly's fix by right clicking the link and using 'save
    > target as', then right click the download file and select merge. Agree to
    > the prompt to install it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hmmm... ok, but what do I do whith that?
    > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    > > "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    > >
    > > In fact I was just reading all your warnings fronm a previous post (and I
    > > bookmarked some sites) with Registries. Once in a while I go there,....
    > > when
    > > I know EXACTLY what to do. But in this case, I don't.
    > >
    > > Thanks for more details
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    > >>
    > >> Line 255 - right hand side
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>
    > >> "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type in notepad and click ok. Then copy/paste the lines
    below into it:

    ***Start below this line***
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000

    ***Finish above this one***

    Click file/'save as', call it userinit.reg and save to the desktop. Now
    close notepad, then double click the saved file and allow it to merge with
    the system registry.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > First I get "save LINK as", no target, then I never get merge. What do i
    > do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You should download Kelly's fix by right clicking the link and using
    >> 'save
    >> target as', then right click the download file and select merge. Agree to
    >> the prompt to install it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hmmm... ok, but what do I do whith that?
    >> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    >> > "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    >> >
    >> > In fact I was just reading all your warnings fronm a previous post (and
    >> > bookmarked some sites) with Registries. Once in a while I go there,....
    >> > when
    >> > I know EXACTLY what to do. But in this case, I don't.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for more details

    I did it, but that doesn't solve the problem. "My documents" still shows up
    at start up. What did that do then? and how can I get rid of that?

    Thanks

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Click start/run, type in notepad and click ok. Then copy/paste the lines
    > below into it:
    >
    > ***Start below this line***
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    > "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    > "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    >
    > ***Finish above this one***
    >
    > Click file/'save as', call it userinit.reg and save to the desktop. Now
    > close notepad, then double click the saved file and allow it to merge with
    > the system registry.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > First I get "save LINK as", no target, then I never get merge. What do i
    > > do?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> You should download Kelly's fix by right clicking the link and using
    > >> 'save
    > >> target as', then right click the download file and select merge. Agree to
    > >> the prompt to install it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    It just resets default values for those keys. Could you please export and
    post the contents of these keys in the registry:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
    at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
    save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
    editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
    should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
    this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
    contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
    examination.

    --

    >I did it, but that doesn't solve the problem. "My documents" still shows up
    > at start up. What did that do then? and how can I get rid of that?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Click start/run, type in notepad and click ok. Then copy/paste the lines
    >> below into it:
    >>
    >> ***Start below this line***
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    >> "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    >> "PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> ***Finish above this one***
    >>
    >> Click file/'save as', call it userinit.reg and save to the desktop. Now
    >> close notepad, then double click the saved file and allow it to merge
    >> with
    >> the system registry.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > First I get "save LINK as", no target, then I never get merge. What do
    >> > do?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Hi,

    Thanks a lot. You are really willing to help. Here are the Notepad documents
    I get.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common
    Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
    "SynTPLpr"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPLpr.exe"
    "SynTPEnh"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPEnh.exe"
    "Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe /Consumer"
    "SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_02\\bin\\jusched.exe"
    "QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
    "PRONoMgr.exe"="c:\\Program
    Files\\Intel\\PROSetWireless\\NCS\\PROSet\\PRONoMgr.exe"
    "NeroFilterCheck"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NeroCheck.exe"
    "Microsoft Services"="explorer.exe"
    "LVCOMSX"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\LVCOMSX.EXE"
    "LogitechVideoTray"="C:\\Program Files\\Logitech\\Video\\LogiTray.exe"
    "LogitechVideoRepair"="C:\\Program Files\\Logitech\\Video\\ISStart.exe "
    "LoadFujitsuQuickTouch"="C:\\Program Files\\Fujitsu\\Application
    Panel\\QuickTouch.exe"
    "LoadBtnHnd"="C:\\Program Files\\Fujitsu\\BtnHnd\\BtnHnd.exe"
    "iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""
    "IndicatorUtility"="C:\\Program Files\\Fujitsu\\Fujitsu Hotkey
    Utility\\IndicatorUty.exe"
    "HotKeysCmds"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\hkcmd.exe"
    "FJUPDNV_Chitose"="C:\\Program Files\\Fujitsu\\fjdvrupd\\fjdvrupd.exe"
    "CookieWall"="C:\\Program Files\\AnalogX\\CookieWall\\cookie.exe"
    "ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
    "AVG7_CC"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\Grisoft\\AVGFRE~1\\avgcc.exe /STARTUP"
    "AGRSMMSG"="AGRSMMSG.exe"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Yahoo! Pager"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\ypager.exe\" -quiet"
    "WebWasher"="C:\\Program Files\\WebWasher\\wwasher.exe"
    "Norton SystemWorks"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Norton SystemWorks\\cfgwiz.exe\"
    /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz"
    "NBJ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Ahead\\Nero BackItUp\\NBJ.exe\""
    "MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
    "LDM"="C:\\Program Files\\Logitech\\Desktop
    Messenger\\8876480\\Program\\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe"
    "ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
    "LogitechSoftwareUpdate"="\"C:\\Program
    Files\\Logitech\\Video\\ManifestEngine.exe\" boot"

    I hope it solves the problem. Thanks

    JL wrote:
    > I did it, but that doesn't solve the problem. "My documents" still shows up
    > at start up. What did that do then? and how can I get rid of that?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Click start/run, type in notepad and click ok. Then copy/paste the lines
    >>below into it:
    >>
    >>***Start below this line***
    >>Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    >>"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
    >>
    >>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    >>"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >>***Finish above this one***
    >>
    >>Click file/'save as', call it userinit.reg and save to the desktop. Now
    >>close notepad, then double click the saved file and allow it to merge with
    >>the system registry.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best of Luck,
    >>
    >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >>"JL" <JL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>First I get "save LINK as", no target, then I never get merge. What do i
    >>>do?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    Did you reboot?

    gls858

    Yes, of course, several times actually.

    JL wrote:
    > Yes, of course, several times actually.
    >
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>JL wrote:
    >>
    >>>I did it, but that doesn't solve the problem. "My documents" still shows up
    >>>at start up. What did that do then? and how can I get rid of that?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >

    >>Did you reboot?
    >>
    >>gls858

    Just checking. It a common mistake.

    gls858

    Hi,

    This one makes me curious:

    "Microsoft Services"="explorer.exe"

    loads it. Click on it the string and use the same export procedure to save a
    copy. Then click on just that string in the right pane and delete it. Close
    the registry editor and reboot. Does this resolve the problem?

    --

> [...]
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It just resets default values for those keys. Could you please export and
    >> post the contents of these keys in the registry:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this
    >> one
    >> at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
    >> save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
    >> editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit,
    >> it
    >> should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response
    >> this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
    >> contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for

    I am furious at myself, I missed your answer. I must have forgotten to check
    the little box.

    Anyway, I am amazed but yes, it worked! Can you explain what that is about?
    Can I delete now every file I add to my desktop?

    Thanks a million times

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >>
    > >> To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this
    > >> one
    > >> at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
    > >> save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
    > >> editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit,
    > >> it
    > >> should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response
    > >> this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
    > >> contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
    > >> examination.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

    Hi JL,

    Glad to hear it worked. Likely just a leftover from an uninstalled bit of
    software that caused it.

    Yes, you can delete the previously saved .reg files, you won't need them any
    longer.

    --

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> >
    >> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >> >
    >> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    >> > "Yahoo! Pager"="\"C:\\Program
    >> > Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\ypager.exe\" -quiet"
    >> > "WebWasher"="C:\\Program Files\\WebWasher\\wwasher.exe"
    >> > "Norton SystemWorks"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Norton
    >> > SystemWorks\\cfgwiz.exe\"
    >> > /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz"
    >> > "NBJ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Ahead\\Nero BackItUp\\NBJ.exe\""
    >> > "MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
    >> > "LDM"="C:\\Program Files\\Logitech\\Desktop
    >> > Messenger\\8876480\\Program\\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe"
    >> > "ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
    >> > "LogitechSoftwareUpdate"="\"C:\\Program
    >> > Files\\Logitech\\Video\\ManifestEngine.exe\" boot"

My Documents Displays Windows XP