Cant reactivate windows 7 RETAIL

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hi guys

Today I have replaced an AM3 motherboard with an AM3+ and I got the usual message 3 days to activate.

I've tried to activate today using the automated phone line and it says my software is not genuine and then automated phone lady says bye bye. There was no "How many Computers is your software installed on, and no waiting to speak to an agent. JUST BYE BYE.

I've tried customer support typed in Product ID, It tells me my licence has expired. Windows 7 home premium I purchased Full version from PC World back in 2009 then a few months later I purchased the anytime upgrade to Professional.

If I retype in product key for Professional it takes me back to the activation screens 4 options. Ive also tried typing my home premium key that does not work, it says I need a Professional licence which I have but expired.

I dont really want to repair or reinstall it when it is working and no conflicts. Can anybody help I do have Vista and linux on another hard drive which is not connected because graphics card is blocking SATA ports, and right angled connectors are to high as well.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
full retail is good up to 5 motherboard swaps. but im not sure how the anytime upgrade affects it. if it counts as oem then its one motherboard and thats all. call microsoft and complain until you have windows. there are work arounds but since they are not quite legal i wont mention them.

Make sure you are typing in the key correctly -- (Some letters\numbers are easily confused) - also when you typed in the Product ID and it said it was expired was that the product key for the home premium or Professional ?? (IIRC once you use the upgrade the original product is no longer valid.)

Since you purchased a Full version (not OEM) you can call MS support for assistance in getting a working key - normally they will just ask for some information (ie original product key - upgrade key - etc.) and then will give you a new key that will pass validation. So I'd suggest giving MS support a call.

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I typed the Professional ID on the website it came up expired I clicked on the other option stating it would cost me £46 for support.

This is the 3rd motherboard, so I should be alright.

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hi im trying to reactivate windows 7 professional, and im trying to avoid reinstalling windows. This was unusual for me in the past
I have used OEM and have reactivated over the phone line and initially that expires the licence, but this is PC World full retail edition. I thought I wouldn't hit problems.

YOu say it takes you back to the page with the 4 activation selections :

2384173.png

If so click on the bottom one "Contact Microsoft to help resolve this issue" and have them help you get it working -iirc this option leads to a phone # for customer support that will ask a few questions and give you a new key to use once they verify your info.

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah thanks ive tried that it asks for my product ID which is shown at the bottom of my system in control panel eg 12345-xxx-7654321-98765 hoping for a telephone number. It just tells me product has expired, I will try again Monday thanks but you use to be able to hang on and speak to an agent on the automated phone line.

Only support number I have found is from GETHUMAN.com :

Microsoft Activation Support phone number for customer service
phone number : 888-571-2048
Stay silent at all prompts until asked if you want to speak to a customer service representative.
Hours 24 hours, 7 days

Hi wolfman72

you said 'PC World full retail edition'

If you mean it came with a PC purchased from 'PC World' it might not be a full retail copy

If you mean a full retail copy of 7 it should not matter where it was purchased from.
(did you get a 32 bit and 64 bit DVD in the box?)

At least your PC booted up and you have a few days to try and sort it out.

I have not tried a Windows Anytime Upgrade so I only have experience of replacing a faulty motherboard and reactivating Windows XP + 7 + Office over the internet.

With XP I have been allowed to put a hard disk from old Dell PC with faulty motherboard into a new PC by speaking to them on the phone.

best of luck

Mike Barnes

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

What do you mean by this is PC World full retail edition?

Did you build the computer from scratch? Or you bought the computer in some store and upgraded the motherboard?

If latter, the windows you have is an OEM. You need to use the recovery discs (or boot from recovery partition) to install windows.

If former, activate over the phone. It always worked for me.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah I have an OEM edition of Win7 64-bit home. I swapped 3 MoBo's so far. You have to call that number that it tells you to, when you try and activate it. It sends you through a whole process and you have to tell them the code that it shows on the screen. Then they repeat a code that you have to enter and boom, activated.

Not always !! -- As he stated in the first post that that was what he had already done and the activation failed so now he needs to move to the next step which is actually talking with support personnel instead of an automated computer response system !! -- which MS now makes more difficult by not providing a phone number to contact an actual person after the failure the automated system just hangs up instead of referring you to an actual person to proceed !

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I can only connect one of my hard drives due to bad positioning of SATA connectors(6870 blocks them). Ive know tried switching to the vista and linux hard drive installed my drivers for vista 32 bit, ethernet driver installed also. Activation screen voila activated through automated system. SO OEM VISTA activated and the retail windows 7 not. OH AND LINUX works.

Yes I do have both 32-bit and-64 bit Windows 7 disks. Also I have the box with the anytime upgrade key.

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Activated thankyou, daughter started college today she has a laptop. Visited microsoft website found a link for students software. Also im going to sell retail copy with motherboard ive just took out(Home Premium) key is locked to this board.
Is the windows anytime upgrade in the blue box I paid £99 for once activated tied to that copy of home premium or can I use it with another RETAIL copy?

Also purchased SATA PCI-EXPRESS expansion card 98/xp/vista to solve my SATA problem. Installed by going into Device manager search for drivers on the internet found the 64 bit drivers and installed. Works great thumbs up for windows 7.

Full retail is not limited to 5 transfers.

Upgrades usually retain the edition type. OEM to OEM, retail to retail, etc.