Asus 8800GS vs. XFX vs. EVGA 8800GS superclocked

sportsfan12321

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
The #1 thing is quality, and #2 is price.

Asus = $94
http://www.infonec.ca/site/main.php?module=detail&id=352466

Bus Standard PCI Express 2.0
Video Memory DDR3 384MB
Engine Clock 550 MHz
Shader Clock 1375 MHz
Memory Clock 1.6 GHz ( 800 MHz DDR3 )

Memory Interface 192-bit
DVI Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
D-Sub Output Yes x 1 (via DVI to D-Sub adaptor x 1 )

=========================================
XFX = $104
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3592053&CatId=3614

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz
Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)
Video Memory: 384MB
Memory Type: DDR3
Core Clock: 580 MHz
Memory Interface: 192-bit
Memory Clock: 1400 MHz
Stream Processors: 96

=======
EVGA = $116
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3680416&CatId=3614

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz
Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital) - Dual Link DVI
Video Memory: 384MB
Memory Type: GDDR3
Core Clock: 650 MHz
Memory Interface: 192-bit
Memory Clock: 1900 MHz
Shader Clock: 1620 MHz
Stream Processors: 96
Memory Bandwidth: 45.6GB/sec.

I know the EVGA outperforms, but is it worth the cash? For what it's worth these will run on an antec earthwatts 500w, I don't want any of them to die on me. Thanks

pauldh

Illustrious
I have both that XFX and the evga superclock 8800GS. Not only is the evga much faster due to higher clock speeds, it has a quieter cooler with a variable speed fan. The XFX is not bad, but with it's slow mem clocks( and slow chips that I doubt will overclcok anywhere near the speeds of the evga), and that 2 pin fan, I would say the evga is easily worth the extra money. I made a harness and use a zalman fanmate with the XFX to quiet the fan down.

The Asus on the other hand, I can not vouch for personally. Price is worth looking into compared to the evga. It has a decent enough looking cooler, BUT it's still a 2 pin fan so it's not variable speed. I'd check and see if you can find user ratings or a review of it if noise is a concern. Also, I do not know the mem chips it uses, to know if it is at or above rated spec already, or if they are faster chips with room to OC to evga SC speeds.

pauldh

Illustrious

sportsfan12321

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hm that's a lot of good info, thanks a bunch. And yes it sucks that no newegg in canada yet :(. Right now it's down to either the EVGA Superclocked or the Asus 9600GSO. From googling it seems normally 9600GSOs come with dual slot cooling, whereas the asus does not so that might be a minus. But $87 seems like a pretty good deal for a card of that calibur in canada.

I guess it all comes down to how long they're gonna last and how good the asus warranty is (says 3 years online, EVGA is lifetime no?).

pauldh

Illustrious
The 9600GSO liek the 8800GS, seems to not have a reference cooler. Each brand seems to stick a different one on them.

I really don't think 3 year vs lifetime is a big deal. If priced the same, sure grab the lifetime. And honestly, if price is about the same and there is no special game bundle to sway me, I would always go EVGA. But it surely is not worth 30% more money, and all it takes is a more attractive game bundle and I swap to another brand. (XFX had COD4 recently for example)

That depends on how long you keep your hardware. For example I still have a X1900XTX on one of my rigs. But my main rig has a 8800GTX, and my every day working PC [for office/web,etc)(see sig) had a 8400GS.

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree with you and also tend to keep hardware a long, long time, until retired or given away someday. I just had an arctic cooled 9800 pro die last week in one of my kids systems. In it's place went my old 9500 pro that was packed away back in the retail box. But would I have paid $30 extra for a lifetime warranty on it over ATI's 3 year? Nope, although maybe they'd give me something better for it if I could have returned it.

But, rarely does that old a card get daily use like mine and seem to die; 3 years is pretty good and most people do want a new card by then.