Is having the fan speed maxed bad?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Been OC'ing stuff and well i was wandering if having the HSF and video card fans at 100% (or 80-90%) bad for the card or the fans? The noise don't bother me but im wandering if it tremendously lowers the life of the fans.

On a new note, cant get my E2180 past 2.5 GHZ oc, shouldn't i at least be able get it to 3 ghz? There is no difference in heat at ANY clock speed. 1 GHZ idle is 48C load (stress test) 80C and 2.4 GHZ is the EXACT same, so i know heat is not stopping me. any way if you think i can go higher than 2.5 GHZ than ill start a new thread.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
spintel temp monitoring may not be the best - in your case may not be working at all - tdp's same story - and energy comsume figures don't account for external mem controllers.

Any way, something is wrong with those results.

Re fans - wear factor, of course. Also excess vibration might be shaking everything, undetectable - and that might be why all the other stuff.

What is your purpose in oclox? Cos others do it? What noticeable visible detectable gain do you expect other than some stupid benchmark score. Do you plan on always running benchmarx? They are irrelevent. They do NOT account for real world conditions where many things are running at once, aka multitasking - benchmark that - or bench while running a fat app in the background - that would give you an idea of how spintel has seduced you. Sorry, I am not really just being a flamer - there is truth in what I say, but people prefer to believe the propaganda that spintel is so omnipotent - well sit back and watch the next few months - and then watch what people say.

An out of control fan - if you think you need that - you really think you need better cooling.

I hope this helps you - and doesn't only disturb.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you must know, cod4 occasionally dips below 24 fps and well guess what, i DIE! A small simple OC will fix that easily, while keeping my settings maxed.

Also haven't messed with my HSF speed in a long time and i forgot how to change that, want my HSF almost maxed can anyone tell me how to control it?

And no, im OC'ing for cod4 so i can stop dieing and for Crysis.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have used speed fan Easytune 5 and 6 and the bios to tell me the temps.

Ill try real temps but can you tell me how to increase Heat Sink Fan speed?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ok real temps tells me the same thing as all the rest.

Some tell me i put the HSF on wrong, i say be quiet. I spent over 4 hours tinkering with the fan alone and its on there REAL good! Stock fans are not that good i guess, than again my pentium D (same stock HSF as the one i got with the exception there was a small copper base on the bottom) oc'd from 2.66 GHZ to 3.6 GHZ in a 90 degree room got no hotter than 55C where as its 70 degrees and im using a c2d and i know a c2d is not hotter than 2 P4's put together.

So either that small copper bottom on the old heatsink worked wanders or this cpu is a piece of ****. Than again i have a E1200 sitting in my desk that got the same temps. So is it the HSF, the MOBO or are both cpu's bad?

Any way how do i raise HSF speed?

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Well I don't really need to know - but more info does help. Definitely check that heat sink is mated well to cpu. If ok, then consider more powerful cooler.

I cannot tell you how to max fan speed. I think better cooler is a better way to go - that's almost standard for oclockers - first thing usually recommended - stock sinks are just barely adequate, and I think you need more.

Perhaps more info re your hardware would help someone advise you further. (e.g. motherboard, current heatsink, etc(?))

But no, I really don't need to know any of this. Good luck.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Tell me your mobo model and I'll tell you how to raise your fan speed, although I don't think it will help much.

Your heatsink has to be installed incorrectly. I know you say be quiet, but so have many other people that ultimately realized one of the pins wasn't seated properly or some other problem.

Your right, the temps in the new chip should be much lower than the old one. Doesn't that give you any indication of a problem that is larger than fan speed?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ok ill tell you the model and all but im re-seating the HSF and adding more thermal paste to it, seen a guide and it says to add a "line" ofthermal paste i added a dot in the middle of the cpu.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Ahh, the voice of experience.

I can't see the sinks; but copper is a better conductor of heat - and if you have been recklessly, chaotically, swapping stuff around in a fit of rage, then simple breathing can be a really good cooler also. Aren't computers fun? :)
Sounds like Zorg has been to your mountain. Good luck. Be sure to thank him.
And btw - nihilim won't help you.
Out.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Rice sized dot or thin line or a very thin layer over the whole IHS, they all work. Not to little and not too much. It only takes a very thin layer to fill in the gaps, the rest squeezes out the edges for the most part.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Sorry, it's on more wrong now than it was, but it was still on wrong before. You had better get a new HS with a backplate.

Or let it eat and wait for it to fail, the choice is yours.