clydefrog

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey everyone!

I just purchased an SSD (with the help of this website :D ) as well as an external enclosure that fits my drive bay and gives me access to the SSD from the front panel. I wiped my HDD clean and instead, i installed my OS on this new SSD and i am now using the HDD for storage.

Then i though about something. Since my SSD is so accessible from the front, i can take it out and swap it on another computer. So my question is, if i have my OS on this SSD, can i remove it and hook it up to another computer and use my OS on the other machine? Like, can i take it to my friends house, hook it up to his computer, then proceed to use his apps on his HDD from my OS on my SSD? I dont really see why i would wanna do this, but i was curious... -__-

This may be a "noobish" question, but then again i am a bit of a "noob" myself. I dont have another computer to actually try this little experiment on, so that is why i'm asking here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

ClydeFrog

Solution
It's unlikely that the OS will work on another computer unless the motherboard has all of the same support chips.

Are you using a USB enclosure? That's going to hurt the performance of your SSD quite a bit...

clydefrog

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
oh really? if the SSD only had files and such on it instead of an OS, would be able to use it like an uber-flash drive? Again, i cant really see why i would want to but, im just a curious little guy.

Also, no its a sata enclosure. Its basically just a set of brackets with a pop-open front door-thingy; its sits where i would have normally had an optical drive visible. But thanks for letting me know. So it's safe to assume that SATA outperforms USB? Because i have an external HDD on its way to my place, and i payed a little bit more so that it would have an eSATA port.
thank you,

ClydeFrog

USB transfer rates top out at about 30-35MB/sec, while SATA-2 can manage well over 200MB/sec - and since Intel's SSD can get up into the 200MB/sec range under the right conditions it's a good thing you're using SATA or eSATA. Not only that, but there's extra latency in the USB protocol that will slow down even small, random requests.

Yes, if you just have data files on the drive you should be able to plug it into any system and read or write files.

clydefrog

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
oh i see. I didnt know the difference between the sata and usb was so great! I guess it is a good thing i'm using sata.

But on a side note, those Intel SSD's are really expensive! A 32GB drive costs well over $200, when others like kingston are around $135.

Are the Intel SSD's worth that much money? With that kind of price tag, i would expect nothing short of it deflecting bullets and producing renewable energy. :kaola:

Thanks,

ClydeFrog