Connecting Verizon Fios Router to a Netgear Wireless Router

I am getting Verizon Fios in a few days and I already have a large Home Network Setup. Only wireless devices that I allow can connect, for security reasons (i live next to an apartment building and they always try to hack into my network to "Borrow" my Internet connection, however I have Print Sharing and File Sharing enabled within my network. So if someone were to hack into my network they can reek havoc on my setup. I have about 7 Computers and Devices connected at all times. Now with the Verizon Fios Router/ Modem it adds not only Speed but another way for someone to hack in to my network. I was told from Verizon that why should I keep using my current router when I am getting a "Free" one with my service. Well That Verizon Router is low quality compared to my Netgear Wireless N Rangemax. So the main question is how to Connect the Verizon Router to my Netgear? (Crossover or Strait Thru) and also how do I shut off the Wireless Signal?

Thanks to all who Post Info!

jakthebomb

P.S.: the connection I want is Wired from the Verizon Router to the Netgear. and the feature i have enabled on my Netgear to keep all other wireless computers and devices out is Wireless Access Control. with that on no one can connect but me!
3 answers Last reply
More about connecting verizon fios router netgear wireless router
  1. You only need to use the router if you're getting Verizon Fios TV installed. If you're just getting internet, take their router and put it on a shelf.

If you're getting TV, the actiontec connects your home ethernet cable with you're tv cable. Before the actiontec router, they used a device from Motorola called a NIM100 to do this. Maybe they have an old one lying around? If not, you'll need to turn off DHCP and wireless broadcasting on the actiontec, and use it as a switch. I'm sure their tecs can set it up for you.
  2. I also think you can disable the wireless portion of the fios modem. Then connect your 2nd router on a different segment.
  3. Basic wire/wireless network security/protection that are standard feature on routers. See questions below...

(wireless)Do you broadcast your network? This is a basic feature of wireless routers not to broadcast your network.

Another protection level is to enable your security code (128 character)on the network. Do you use one ?

The next level of protection is to define the MAC address of the network devices(pc , print-server) that you will allow to use your wire/wireless network.

If you don't understand theses details get help from your provider or someone you know close by.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Router Verizon Networking