Sign in with
Your question

Need New Mobo - best value/OC'ing for Q6600

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 31, 2009 5:21:37 PM

I've finally come to the conculsion that my motherboard is on its way out. i am looking into the costs of an rma for my board but from what i've read i am likely to only get another faulty board.

Below is my current system spec' including the mobo. i am looking to OC my Q6600 to get hopefully somewhere near 3.4-6ghz out of it. i don't really want to spend the earth on it or have to get additional components due to compatibility. I would be willing to spend more if there is more chance i could get a decent OC and that would last me a while. Or go for something cheaper, have a bit of fun with it and then sell on my system later to buy a new i7 rig.

P5N72-T Prem'
Q6600 (G0) VID 1.250v
Xigmatek HDT- S1283 Cooler
2x2gb OCZ Reaper 1066
XFX 8800GTS 320mb (I know not great)
BFG ES-800w PSU
1TB sata hdd & 640mb sata hdd
sata blue-ray writer.
24" Samsung full HD LCD

I use mainly for business use, normally nothing major but also like to play some games, watching movies & video editing.

I am from the UK so please give suggestions/links to mobos i can purchase from within the UK.

Many thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

More about : mobo ing q6600

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 31, 2009 6:14:09 PM

1. Why do you think the board is bad?

2. You won't be able to get much money if selling this system esp. since i5/ATI 5xxx are coming out soon.

3. Mind giving links to UK stores?
August 31, 2009 6:28:01 PM

The Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R is great for overclocking quads and is relatively inexpensive. I've got the UD3P (crossfire) and really like it.
Related resources
August 31, 2009 8:25:04 PM

Shadow703793 said:

2. You won't be able to get much money if selling this system esp. since i5/ATI 5xxx are coming out soon.

System randomly crashes - screen goes into sleep and doesn't wake, no sound etc, can't use PC but oddly still appears in network?Also get random loss of power (system goes dead), sometimes, doesn't post, fails to boot, and more. Have swapped/tested every component (excluding PSU) and problem still remains. I can't see it being the PSu going on research of the two components.

Might be better than getting nothing back plus don't want to spend loads unless i can get a performance boost.

seen lots of threads where people post links to purchase components and most are from abroad. what may be a cheap, good performing board somewhere could well cost a lot more in comparison in the UK - nothig is cheap in the UK!

Do you have any suggestions?
September 1, 2009 12:50:01 AM

Hmmm to me that sounds like it could be the motherboard however it also sounds like there is a chance the PSU might be going out too.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 1:10:08 AM

^+1.

Also OP have you checked the RAM? Run Memtest86+.
September 1, 2009 8:31:19 AM

Trust me when I say I have tested literally everything. The only two components i have not swapped in for another is the PSU and Mobo. I've ran memtest in my OS and from bootable CD both for over 24 hours without errors. While running memtest in my OS (4 instances of memtest at once) i also ran prime on small ffts for over 24 hours. its litterally random when it decides to crash. i can't repeat it. I've also changed OS serveral times so i know its not a software or hard drive issue.

It could be the PSU but i have more faith in my PSU than my mobo. Also another symptom i get every now and then is a VERY slow boot up. it will take 30sec-1min to post and then it hangs on the bios screen (Asus logo) for a couple of min then takes its time to get to the loading screen and so on. However, once i'm in my desktop things feel as speedy as normal. That doesn't sound like the psu to me.

I would love you to save me some bucks and solve my problem and if so this thread has a bit more info on what i have tested - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-253724_11_0.ht...

In the meantime if anyone can suggest a good mobo i would be grateful.
September 1, 2009 9:47:23 AM

orangegator said:
The Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R is great for overclocking quads and is relatively inexpensive. I've got the UD3P (crossfire) and really like it.

had a look at that board it looks good. had a look at a lot of the other ga boards too - none of them seem to support my memory???? part number is OCZ2RPR10662GK but the qvl does say that not all modules are listed.

Quick couple of questions:

What chipset is the best for overclocking Quads given my spec' above? P45, X48 & X38 seem to be the main choices.

If i am overclocking is there any advantage in choosing a board with good power saving features?
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 12:07:34 PM

I googled your PSU and it seems to be a pretty nice unit, but you really should check it out before you do anything else. PSU's frequently cause strange, random faults.
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 12:12:22 PM

Quick edit button is not working.

Having said that, I have a Q6600 running at 3.3 GHz in a GA-EP45-UD3L. I have had it running at 3.6 GHz., but it is no longer my gaming machine so I turned down the overclock.

I like the Gigabyte motherboards. I have 4 all together.
September 1, 2009 12:15:44 PM

jsc said:
Quick edit button is not working.

Having said that, I have a Q6600 running at 3.3 GHz in a GA-EP45-UD3L. I have had it running at 3.6 GHz., but it is no longer my gaming machine so I turned down the overclock.

I like the Gigabyte motherboards. I have 4 all together.

JSC,

Thanks for both your posts. Yes i do want to try an alternative PSU to test but i don't have a spare nor know anyone with a suitable one. Suppose i could be cheeky and buy one, try it and then take it back saying its unwanted??? ;) 

do you have any prefernce on chipsets?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 3:48:09 PM

+1 for the P45-UD3L/UD3R. They are great boards and work well. Only thing you SHOULD NOT do on that EP-xx boards is NOT TO install DES software. It's known to be problematic esp. when OCing.

As far as PSU goes, can you borrow a unit from a friend,etc?
September 1, 2009 4:34:20 PM

I'm assuming this DES software is the equivalent of Asus' EPU Driver & Gear3+ software. I had to uninstall those features on my current board when attempting to OC.

Is Easy Tune 6 any good for a half decent OC? i mean to boost my system to say 3.0ghz from 2.4? I don't always need my PC running at max speed so it is nice to think i could just click a button to boost performance and then click it again to take advantage of the power saving features. I assume its no good unless someone can correct me?

Re: PSU, I've asked around but none have the 8pin CPU power connector.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2009 9:00:16 PM

NEVER OC via WINDOWS!

Quote:
PSU, I've asked around but none have the 8pin CPU power connector.

? What about the 8 pin?
September 1, 2009 10:50:26 PM

Shadow703793 said:
NEVER OC via WINDOWS!

Quote:
PSU, I've asked around but none have the 8pin CPU power connector.

? What about the 8 pin?

I thought that answer might come back about Oc'ing in Windows.

About the 8pin power next to the CPU. all people i have asked to borrow a psu from do not have this 8pin plug only a 4pin one. i assume i can't just put the 4pin one in?

September 2, 2009 10:31:24 AM

Can anyone tell me the advantages of the P45, X38 & X48 over eachother please? I have heard good things about the P45 boards and know they are older but is it worth paying the extra for an X38 or X48 board?
September 2, 2009 12:29:27 PM

i believe x38, x48 enables crossfire support at full pcie-2.0 x16 speeds.. with a p35/p45 nb, one or more of the lanes are crippled to run at lower speeds
September 2, 2009 2:17:34 PM

aberchonbie said:
i believe x38, x48 enables crossfire support at full pcie-2.0 x16 speeds.. with a p35/p45 nb, one or more of the lanes are crippled to run at lower speeds

That stands to reason why i couldn't find a P45 board that supports crossfire @ x16 - Thanks.

Is there any advantages in Oc'ing on a X38/x48 over P45?
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2009 4:13:09 PM

^Nope. Unless going under DIce/LN2 the advantage for OCing on P45 vs X48 is minimal. Also X38 is older than P45 and they are about the same when OCing. OCing ability is limited not by the chipset but rather by the options available in the BIOS.
September 2, 2009 5:12:31 PM

ok thanks, that clears up a few things. I'm narrowing down to a few boards. i do like the GA-EP45 boards but haven't found any at a good enough price, yet.

Found quite a few Asus boards for sale at reasonable prices. Any thoughts on the P5Q-E and the Maximus Formula? i am nervous about buying Asus again but few reviews i have seen are positive and i may not have to pay much for them.
September 4, 2009 11:13:40 AM

Thanks for the link. intersting read. I've heard the same about P5Qs and cold boot Asus forum filled with posts on that issue. The max formula has had a lot of issues with the heatsink being poorly attached to the board and getting hot.
September 4, 2009 1:37:55 PM

Found a few boards within my price range that i'm happy to take a risk on but before i take the plunge i was wondering what people's opinions were on the following:

GA-EP45-UD3LR
GA-X38-DQ6
Abit IX38 QuadGT (used but with warranty)

I am leaning towards the DQ6 becasue it has better cooling on the board & has crossfire but i am open to suggestions.

one question about memory also... the DQ6 supports DDR2 1200 at 1.8v, my dimms SPD states 2.1v. does this matter? will i have to under clock memory or does it mean it will run at the states speed 1066 at a lower voltage?
!