SATA drive detected as SCSI on Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 Mobo

Curt86

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
This is a problem that I've never bothered to address in the past, however after upgrading some components and formatting, I've been trying to optimize my computers performance. I've noticed that my SATA drive, plugged into the SATA slot, is being detected as a SCSI drive. I've installed the SATA drivers for my mobo, but after viewing the hard-drive in Hardware->Devices, it doesn't appear to be using the driver and it is recognized as a SCSI drive.

I've googled this and haven't found any answers. I've enabled S.M.A.R.T. for my drive. Something was mentioned about disabling AHPI, which doesn't appear in my BIOS options. There is a ACPI section but there are a number of options in that section and no way to completely disable it. Does anyone know what I need to do to get my computer to recognize the drive as SATA?

Solution
You probably have no problem, except that the BIOS' displays are a bit confusing. Since you have a SATA drive connected to a SATA port, I guarantee the mobo is using it as a SATA drive, despite what it says. Your manual says the mobo has two original SATA ports, and one newer SATA II port. On the two originals, the only SATA Operation Mode choices are either RAID on non-RAID. On the other (SATA II) port the choices are IDE or SATA. In the latter case, all those mean is that you can have the mobo treat the drive as a native SATA unit, which may have required that your OS (Windows) have appropriate drivers installed, OR it can make that drive emulate an older IDE drive that Windows understands completely with its own built-in drivers. But...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You probably have no problem, except that the BIOS' displays are a bit confusing. Since you have a SATA drive connected to a SATA port, I guarantee the mobo is using it as a SATA drive, despite what it says. Your manual says the mobo has two original SATA ports, and one newer SATA II port. On the two originals, the only SATA Operation Mode choices are either RAID on non-RAID. On the other (SATA II) port the choices are IDE or SATA. In the latter case, all those mean is that you can have the mobo treat the drive as a native SATA unit, which may have required that your OS (Windows) have appropriate drivers installed, OR it can make that drive emulate an older IDE drive that Windows understands completely with its own built-in drivers. But what it labels those drives is not clear form the manual. In any case, I'm betting that on this early-SATA board, the words the BIOS screens display mean something more like: is this an IDE drive? or, a RAID drive? or, something else we'll lump together under the old handy label, SCSI?

Solution

Curt86

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I think you might be right, because the computer loaded a good 8 or 9 seconds faster after installing the SATA drivers on the motherboard page. Thanks for taking the time to do that research for me.