Go for penryn or wait for Nehalem?

tr0n

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
So I've finally managed to get the money together to build a new computer soon I'm just not sure if I should wait for Nehalem or not. I've been putting off a new build for quite some time. Currently I'm running

AMD 3000+, Radeon X800 pro, 2GB ram, cheap power supply.

I was looking to go for the following:

Core 2 E8400
2GB Ram
Radeon 4870

I'd primarily use the system for gaming, and some simulation/rendering

If i waited for nehalem id switch out the E8400 for the ~300 Nehalem part, and switch the memory for 2GB DDR3.

Just looking for opinons/suggestions :)

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
the longer you wait, the cheaper that option will be. Waiting for the next generation is usually the sweet spot for pricing, but buy when you feel the need.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Im also contimplating whether to get a E8600, Q9550, or the Nehalem processor thats ~$285. I am waiting till the first batch of Nehalems come out to see what the price drops to and hopefully some reviews come out for the Nehalem. I was going to go to DDR3 either 2GB or 4GB (depending if price drops also because Im amazed how low RAM sticks have gotten and still dropping), and my other sticky point: VIDEO CARD. Im torn between the NVIdia 280 (maybe SLI), ATI 4850 (xfire), 4870 or 4870x2. Im also watching to see if NVidia and ATI decide to release new products to complicate things even more :)

This is strictly a gaming machine and my first attempt at DX10 and Vista
Budget: Im basically building another system; even the speakers (not sure if I shold go with digital or stay with anolog). No extreme processors. Ive never o/c'd and if I attempt it will be with my old system (when Im done with the new system) or a mobo that o'c's for me would be nice :). Basically, trying to keep it under $2k

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Usually what happens is the higher end CPU's are released first, then other CPU speeds are gradually released at different price points. I'm not exactly sure what Intel will do, but you might as well buy the best you can afford at present. It's not worth waiting to be honest because there's always going to be the next big thing around the corner. The PC you suggest will provide a good game experience, but I if you can afford then 4GB of Ram is worthwhile rather than 2GB.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Nope. Core 2 and Nehalem are completely non-compatable. No motherboard will support both. Also, I support get a penryn now. DDR2 is cheap, and for gaming, it doesn't look like Nehalem will really bring all the much more to the table.

In any multi-threaded program, i7 will tear apart even a Quad (look at Intels Lost Planet demo). The problem, as people on this forum always point out: Most games aren't multthreaded yet, so a simmilarly clocked Quad often matches i7 in all the benchmarks I have seen on non-multithread games.