Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with cloned Harddrive

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2009 2:24:37 AM

Just got a store to clone my 320 gb hd to a 1.5 terrabyte drive. now both drives are in the same comp and loaded with xp and if i try to start a program from either drive they work fine. but it seems hat windows is still booting from the old 320gb and not hte new 1.5tb. i am affraid to wipe the 320gb and the 1.5tb not work at all or none of hte programs work. not sure if i am just reading to much into this and wiping the 320gb will be fine but all the icons and start menus items all shows their paths starting from the C(320gb) drive and not hte new 1.5tb drive.
should i just wipe both drives and then just reinstall everything from scratch onto the new drive?

More about : cloned harddrive

December 11, 2009 10:00:14 AM

shimra said:
Just got a store to clone my 320 gb hd to a 1.5 terrabyte drive. now both drives are in the same comp and loaded with xp and if i try to start a program from either drive they work fine. but it seems hat windows is still booting from the old 320gb and not hte new 1.5tb. i am affraid to wipe the 320gb and the 1.5tb not work at all or none of hte programs work. not sure if i am just reading to much into this and wiping the 320gb will be fine but all the icons and start menus items all shows their paths starting from the C(320gb) drive and not hte new 1.5tb drive.
should i just wipe both drives and then just reinstall everything from scratch onto the new drive?

Sounds like the primary partition on your smaller drive is still selected as the "boot" drive in system BIOS. You could use a utility like Partition Magic to set the larger drive's primary as bootable, then physically remove your smaller drive from the controller (disconnect power cable or data transfer cable). After you make the disconnect, boot the system and the BIOS should direct to the Windows OS on the cloned drive as the "only" drive in your system. Once you confirm that your new drives performs, you can re-connect the old drive as a secondary data drive or add to RAID array. The caveat is that you need to remove the old hard drives OS so Windows registry, drive letters, look-up tables and shared DLLs aren't confused. Remember, too, if you update a driver in Windows on the new drive in the future and the old version resides in the Windows search path you will have problems. I understand you want to keep your old drive partition as a back-up which is OK. However, you need to store it as an image file rather than an active partition.
m
l
a c 362 G Storage
December 11, 2009 2:52:02 PM

You should be able to fix this simply using BIOS Setup. MingDragon makes a good point though - to start, disconnect power and open your case, then disconnect the data cable to the 320 GB older unit. Reconnect power and, as you start booting, hold down the "Del" key. After a few steps starting up, it will enter the BIOS Setup screens. Look through the menus (often in Advanced Peripherals) for the place where you set the Boot Priority sequence. I recommend you set it to use your optical drive as the first device, then your new 1.5 TB unit as the second choice, and no others. That way it will boot from any bootable optical disk you place in that drive, but will skip to the HDD if there is no bootable disk in the optical drive. Save and Exit from here and it will boot into Windows from the new drive.

Now shut down, disconnect power, and reconnect the older 320 GB unit. Close up the case, connect power and turn on. It should boot from the 1.5 TB new drive still and continue to use it as your C: drive. The older unit should be showing up in My Computer as the D: or E: drive (depends on how you have your optical drive named).

You may want to adjust drive names. Probably before you got your 1.5 TB unit you had one HDD called C: and an optical drive called D:. All your icons and internal references will look for the optical drive under that name, D:. BUT if adding the new drive and re-arranging made the old 320 GB unit take on the name D: and push the optical drive to E:, you have a problem. If that is not the case, end here and do nothing. But if the optical drive letter name was changed on you and you want to change it back, you can do this is Disk Management. To get there, click on Start, then in the menu right-click on My Computer and choose Manage. In the new window click on Storage and then Disk Management. In the LOWER RIGHT pane (it scrolls!) you will see horizontal blocks representing all your hardware devices. At the left end of each is a small block with info on the device. To the right of it is a larger block representing (in the case of a HDD unit) the Partition on it, with its letter name and other data. One HDD unit (the 1.5 TB one) will have your C: drive on it. IF you then have the older 320 GB unit as D: and the optical as E; and you want to change, do a three-step shuffle:
RIGHT-click on the Partition in the 320 GB unit called D:, and choose to Change its Name, then change to something farther down like J:
RIGHT-click on the left-hand label block of the optical drive and change its letter name to D: as you want.
Back to the 320 GB unit's Partition and RIGHT-click again on it, changing its name to what you want, E:.
Exit and reboot for all this to take effect.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2009 9:18:19 AM

thanks firthe replies.sadly though my impatience got the better of me. i thought why not just use the old 320gb drive for the graphics work i am trying to get into and use hte newer 1.5tb drive for my video games since those games are getting so big now. so i decided to just reformat the the new 1.5tb drive by going into my computer and right clicking on the drive and choosing format and then choosing hte total format (deletes all)

Well for some eason it hangs at 73%. tried it twqice that way and then going throuhg disc management and still hung at he same %. i tried at this time to seee if trying to install windows on it would help but it would not. so i downloaded the free version of active killdisk which it still froze at 73%but deleted the drive from my computer.

i then tried just unplugging my old 320gb main drive while leaving the old 320gb storage drive still plugged in. sadly windows would not "see" the new 1.5tb drive. however when i reconnected all and booted it up the 1.5tb drive is now showing in my computer. if i try to click on itto open it it says that i must format this drive t ouse it.

i can live with the new drive not being the primary now just so long as i can get it to format and except windows. so at this point i have not touched it cause i am not sure if it will freeze or what my next steps should be. the drive shows as healthy in disc management. just not sure now what i should try to do.

thanks again for the help
m
l
December 13, 2009 12:38:44 PM

cause i was mislead into beleiving that it would all trasnfer to the new drive with no problem. now i learned that it will not
m
l

Best solution

a c 362 G Storage
December 13, 2009 6:42:27 PM

Well, a true clone from a 320 GB older unit to a new 1.5 TB unit should certainly work and allow you to have the new one take over as the C: drive to boot from, as long as you change the BIOS's Boot Priority Sequence to tell it to start using the new one and NOT try to use the old one. I can think of four things that can interfere with a smooth change.

1. You did not tell the BIOS to change boot devices, so it kept on using the same one it always had.
2. The store's cloning operation was incorrect and they failed to make the 1.5 TB a bootable device.
3. There is a hardware problem with your new 1.5 TB unit.
4. Not common, but has happened - the mobo BIOS you have is not fully up to using a large hard drive properly, so it can't handle a single Partition over 1.0 TB.

For #1, I told you how to change it in my previous post, but you can't do that until the new drive has a bootable clone of the old one on it, and you don't have that now.

For #2, you can get a free software utility from the website of the maker of your new HDD and do the cloning yourself. Who made that 1.5 TB unit? If it was Seagate, go to their website and download and install on your current C: drive their package called Disk Wizard. If it is a WD unit, get their Acronis True Image WD Edition. Both are powerful programs based on Acronis True Image and capable of lots of things, so also get the Manual for the utilities and read it! Each can make a clone of your old drive to the new 1.5 TB one. Just note that Seagate's version will only make that clone TO a new Seagate drive, etc.

When you go to use the tool, note these points:
(a) Connect only two drives inside your system - the current older 320 GB boot drive, and the new 1.5 TB drive - this keeps things simple.
(b) Make VERY SURE when you run that you specify the NEW 1.5 TB unit as the Destination, because EVERYTHING on the Destination will be destroyed, and you do NOT want that to happen to your 320 GB that has all the data!
(c) Look around in the menus and, first step, have it go to the Destination (1.5 TB) and Delete all existing Partitions.
(d) Set the following options: the Destination disk should be bootable; the size of the Partition it creates on the Destination should NOT just match the size of the old drive - it should be what you really want, up to the full capacity of the 1.5 TB unit; the File System it installs should be NTFS; and, you can select Full format so that the new disk unit is tested everywhere before it is used, but this will take MANY HOURS, so plan for that!
(e) When the whole operation is finished, shut down the machine and I recommend you disconnect the older 320 GB unit, then plug the new one into the SATA port that had been used for the old boot drive. When you boot, go immediately into BIOS Setup and verify that the Boot Priority Sequence uses the optical drive, your new 1.5 TB SATA unit, and nothing else. Save and Exit to boot up, and it should boot from that new drive. Once it's all working, you can re-install your older 320 GB unit(s) on other SATA ports.

For #3, to test the new drive, again go the the maker's website. This time download their diagnostic tools. Seagates' is called Seatools, WD's is called Data Lifegard. I recommend the version that allows you to burn your own floppy or optical disk with the tools. Then you boot from that new disk and it will install a mini-DOS in RAM that you use to run from, completely independent of Windows. There are lots of tests that will tell you whether anything is wrong with your hardware. If there is, the HDD maker's Tech Support guys will want to know what the tests said, so write it down. If you have any reason to suspect the HDD has a fault (and your story says this is possible), do these tests FIRST and get the unit working perfectly BEFORE trying to make your own clone and use it.

For #4, look around these forums of info on using your mobo with a large HDD unit. You have not told us what mobo and BIOS version you have. IF the mobo really has trouble with HDD's over 1 TB, there are two general types of work-arounds. One is to find from that mobo maker's website a newer version of its BIOS and download and burn that into your BIOS. This process is a bit risky if it fails, so you may not want that route if you're not tech savvy. The other route MAY be to create your first Partition (with the clone on it) on;ly just under 1.0 TB and use it that way. After it's running, you use Windows' built-in Disk Management tools (or the Disk Wizard or Acronis True Image WD Edition utility, whichever you have) to create a second Partition on the HDD out of the remaining Unallocated Space. This Partition will behave exactly like a completely separate Drive with its own name.
!