Switching between SLI and spanned display across 2 monitors

buhockey13

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Hey,

SLI questions here.....

I have 2 monitors and like playing games such as WoW (World of Warcraft) and having access to the web (for research) while playing the game so I like to span my display across my 2 monitors.

However, I like the idea of occasionally using SLI to run games like HL2 and such. Is there an easy way to configure it so I could have 2 video cards in my system and then flipping a setting in a control panel that would change it from say a spanned display to an SLI single or double (that is, the same image on both screens) display???

Thanks. :)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Check out this article. It seems like what you ask for (and I have been wanting for some time now too) will be possible when drivers are released in September.

Apparently this has always been possible, but nVidia wouldn't allow it and are now finally releasing drivers to do so. I believe you can only do it if you have a recent card (8xxx, 9xxx, GTX 2xx).

So, the answer is No until September.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-driver-big-bang-geforce,6039.html

[:mousemonkey] Nice spot, I stand corrected.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Sorry, but I believe so. I don't think they have plans to support the 7xxx series cards.

The good thing is that you can get an 8800 GT for pretty cheap now. The 9600 GT is pretty cheap as well, and the 9800 GTX+ is around $200 (or less).

Sorry about needing new cards to get this to work.