60GB SSD for Boot Drive

bobfly

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello, I am building a Desktop PC using and OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium. I will be running asus p8p67 evo mobo and an Intel i7 2600k cpu. Is a 60GB SSD for a boot drive large enough for Windows 7?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yes, it is. A full installation of Windows 7 only takes up 16GB of HDD space. 60 GB is the smallest advisable size for an SSD. I personally boot off a 60GB Vertex II with my storage on 4x 1TB WD Caviar Black drives. Fastest computer I ever used.

Check my sig, after all is said and done, my OS is using about 25 gig of my SSD boot drive.
I am using a single 1 TB WD Black for my data drive, which is plenty of space for my needs so far. I have 2 other external drives, 1TB and 500gig that I use as backup for my music, pictures, and important stuff.
And by the way, it's fast and I am very impressed with this setup, very impressed.

bobfly

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

Thanks for the input. I did forget to mention my Windows 7 is 64Bit. i am not sure if that makes a difference

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
there is a program you can use called steam mover

this will let you move program like word,publisher

the odd old game and other things to data drive

this will allow you to shrink the ussed space on your c drive

(my games partition is using up 100gb, just checked my user directory (c:\user) this is 50gb+ for me)

SlickTech

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

I would not use OCZ right now. When I bought my SSD, I was advised not to use any SSDs that had SandForce controllers. From what I've heard, the SandForce issue still hasn't been fully fixed so my suggestion would be to get Crucial M4 like I did. You don't really need the fast write speed as you probably won't be storing files there much. But the fast read speed is awesome.

SlickTech

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Windows 7 only uses 16GB?! When I installed it, I noticed in my Crucial M4 64GB properties that it said I had about 21GB left. :??: Oh, I should mention when I first put the installation disc in, I didn't immediately install it. I turned my pc off and checked to make sure my 1TB Seagate drive was not connected yet. So would that mean that I installed Windows 7 twice if it said I had 21GB left? I'm confused here.

Windows 7 is 64Bit needs 20Gigs, but still on target. Got Vertex2.

Move your My Doc folder files away from system drive. In case u will do,

Move Your Libraries
This is a critical step in the way I set up computers. A problem free backup / restore process depends on you having your docs, music, pics, etc. on a drive or partition other than the one Windows 7 is on. Using this method you do not have to worry that some issue (virus, crash, hardware failure, etc) will mean losing your data.

How To Move Windows 7 Libraries

Decide where you want to move these to.
A second disk is your best option but in a single disk system a second partition will do.
Right-click on your User Name in the Start Menu and choose Open.
Select the libraries you wish to move and copy / paste them to the new location.
Pick the stuff you wish to be safe from any problems.
I would do at least: Contacts, Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos.

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html

Farger Smeheel

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

A stock install of windows 7/8 is indeed around 15-20G
but no way will 60G do for a win OS drive & here is why;

after the plethora of updates installed to keep this steaming piece of stuff excuse for an OS 'running' you will find yourself at 60gigs _just_ for updates --leaving no room for anythingl else

rryanwazhere

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Actually, it seems to reach up to 19Gb, doesn't it?