Use previous Thermal Paste?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 1, 2009 1:01:14 AM

Hi all, I just received my cooler (OCZ Vendetta 2) from ncix.com. I have a question. The cooler came with thermal paste (Silicone Compound) separately, meaning that there is no thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler. Would it be okay to apply the heatsink immediately (without removing the thin layer of thermal paste that is already on my cpu?) Also, my processor is Intel Core2Duo E5200. (this is my first time doing this :??:  )
Thanks.

More about : previous thermal paste

September 1, 2009 1:06:55 AM

ALMOST NEVER REUSE USED THERMAL PASTE(except if u have no thermal paste)
m
l

Best solution

September 1, 2009 1:10:55 AM

shiblulh said:
Hi all, I just received my cooler (OCZ Vendetta 2) from ncix.com. I have a question. The cooler came with thermal paste (Silicone Compound) separately, meaning that there is no thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler. Would it be okay to apply the heatsink immediately (without removing the thin layer of thermal paste that is already on my cpu?) Also, my processor is Intel Core2Duo E5200. (this is my first time doing this :??:  )
Thanks.

Hi there! :bounce: 
So i got a little confused with your layout of the question, but your asking if you can use your new heatsink on your cpu without having to re-apply a fresh new coat of thermal compound?

Answer is yes, but no you shouldn't.
For 1, if you removed your fan and yada yada, you were probably using the stock fan. The Cheap Thermal Pad that was on there isn't that great, you should clean off the surface and either buy another thermal compound or use the one coming with it.
You could go ahead and stick it on and boot it up, but your system will be running pretty warm, and it's not pretty.

In Conclusion, Yes you could if you want, i highly highly DO NOT reccomend it, use a fresh coat of thermal compound, and if make sure to completely remove the exisiting one on your processor, (clean it well!)

Well on a side note, i just did this for my q9550, i ordered a new zalman cnps 9500 for it, my stock heatsink 2 of the 4 pins broke so it couldn't be pushed in all the way and i the thermal compound isn't great. I was hitting 90 DEGREES CELCIUS IDLE.
It was really scaring me, finally when the stuff came i immeditly applied the fan along with ordering Articlean, to remove the thermal compound and Artic Silver 5, one of the best thermal compounds on the market. It went from 80-90 Celcius idle to 40!
Using it right now and im pleased, if i didn't answer your question fully ill be happy to help out agian. :D  :D 
Related resources
September 1, 2009 1:31:35 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. You're answer helped me out a lot! Thanks! I will head over to the local computer store tomorrow and buy some thermal cleaner.
m
l
September 1, 2009 1:36:35 AM

shiblulh said:
Ok, thanks for the info. You're answer helped me out a lot! Thanks! I will head over to the local computer store tomorrow and buy some thermal cleaner.

That's good! I recommend a little research also if your looking for the best bang for the buck for your system (online may be also cheaper but the con is the time of waiting), otherwise if you just need whatever to satisfy your system then i guess that works to.
Just make sure you don't get anything horrible! Frying your processor sucks, no one likes going through rma's or even having to move on and get a new one
m
l
!