D945GCLF2 and ZALMAN NBF47K

cyberhead

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hi,

I bought the intel D945GCLF2 atom 330 (dual core) motherboard. Unfortunately the chipset fan was noisy and maybe attributed to system crashes when I was running SETI/BOINC at 100%. So I decided to install the Zalman NBF47K. I've had it running for a few hours and I'm hoping that it will bring more stability to my system. I did have to bend the motherboard heatsink connectors a bit, because the connectors the came with the heatsink were not an exact mach for this motherboard.

Any other experiences with the atom motherboard cooling?

D945GCLF2.jpg

Ray_GTI-R

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Replaced the cheap, nasty Intel fan that failed in two weeks (3 year guarantee :eek:) with a == Papst from ebayer 1jupiterway.

The Southbridge runs hot so 4 BGA ramsinks were added.

The CPU heatsink is a joke & needs a couple more BGA ramsinks fixed with Sekisui thermal tape to function semi-adequately.

All is now sweetness & light.

Ray

(Pics availabe.)

wbp

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
The CPU gets hot because the stock setup blows hot air from the NB onto it. Try turning the stock NB heatsink around so it blows away from the processor, it's quite a difference. If you want to replace the stock fan (a good idea) get a 40x40x20 SilenX fan and install it backward on the stock heatsink. I did this and added a 40x40x10 SilenX to the top of the CPU sink. Case temps are now in the low 40s, CPU core temps run 32-35, and it's nearly silent.

I tried the Pabst fans but they are quite a bit louder than the SilenX.

William