Blade9030

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
if you were to put a raiator the reserve and the pump into a minifride and a secound radiator onto your computer to blow COLD AIR INTO you system would it work?

just a idea i had last night wonderin if it works

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Spell check?

No, its not going to get anywhere near cold enough to make a difference. Think about what you are planning:

1. Fridge cools radiator
2. tubing carries coolant to 2nd radiator on case
3. 2nd radiator has room-temp air blowing through it, thus warming the 'cool' air.
4. process repeats.

To be honest, similar ideas have been posed several times before. You would be far better off getting a cheap window air conditioner and just blowing the cold air into your case than trying a loop like that. A minifridge would burn up trying to continuously cool the coolant, even if it remains close to outside room temperature. Refridgerators are meant to remove heat ONCE, then maintain cool temps...not consistently cool.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
To move the antifreeze around what? For what purpose?

You are somewhat referring to a slush box of sorts; submerging the heat exchanger (radiator) in an ice-water bath/tub. I assume this is what your concept is? It works well, just a pain in the ass to maintain 24/7 unless you configure a setup.

Edit: And no, there isn't a spell check feature I am aware of, but open up a Word doc and let it do the editing for you...copy/paste.

Blade9030

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
yes i have allready read the OC post

the slush box as you called it makes some sense to me but being a noob i need other people to help

the pump attached to it would serve to rotate the slush so that eddies of hot and cold are not manited and a general break down of the system happen trough a building of heat
it could also be used as a resivoir ( i hate spelling so plz ingore it)
thanks ppl

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

A slush box works much better when you have a sort of phase change system cooling it. very easy to make and will yield negative temps.

Blade9030

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
isnt that bad for a comp to have neg would mean a build up of condensation on electrical systems yeilding to shorts and so forth
(i think)

im a guy thats been pounding the streets for 3 months and still no job so money is tight i was hoping to build somthing in the price range of CHEAP!!!(free is nice to)

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Na its actually better to have negative temps as long as you insulate the board.

If you have an old a/c unit and a cooler you could make one for free but the insulation is gunna cost you $20.

Im assuming you already have the water cooling pump?

Also if you dont have a a/c unit you could buy one on craigs list for $50.

Blade9030

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
but ice dosent last and when gamming you cant pause every ten min. to fill with ice....

how bout taking the radiator ans running water over it once in a nucler power plant and there cooling towers?
if you were to use the same concept but with a water hose instead of a river (unless you were really close to one?) and what about using thermal heat from the earth?
the earth stays a good 69F (or somethin like that) and they use it in ecofriendly homes to keep the house on temp ALL THE TIME so why not run one trough a comp?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Been done Blade, works great! Problem is you have to go down over 10 ft, $100s for the drilling and copper or stainless, a big pump to overcome the distance etc, insulating tubes etc.

See build logs of such, it's a great idea.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Or you could just put solar panels on your roof, have them power some elaborate cooling system, which has your computer sealed in a room, it dries the air (vents the water vapor out), then super cools it and blows it over your computer at negative temps, and then repeats the cycle.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Ohh an Air Conditioner! Thats what an AC unit does exactly. Except it's not super cooled. An AC unit like that would be in the few $1000 range.