Sign in with
Your question

HDD Won't Mount

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2009 9:39:22 AM

Well last night I was looking for an audiobook to download for Treasure Island for my Mom.

I'm pretty sure that what I downloaded was a virus. AFTER I extracted the .zip file I scanned it for viruses and AVG didn't find anything. But the folder would not open, and neither would any other folder. So I reset the computer and it wouldn't boot. Just gets stuck at the black screen.

Long story short, it won't boot into safe mode or the Windows disc anymore either, although it did right after I first had this problem.

So next I restored a backup to it from November 30th. Still didn't boot.

Now I'm in Ubuntu and when I try to access my hard drives it says that the two drives were unmounted uncleanly and cannot access them, as the NTFS marks them for use.

What do I do now?

More about : hdd mount

December 11, 2009 5:01:33 PM

It could be that the hard drive has gone bad, in which case there isn't a lot you can do. If you could still get into the windows recovery console, you should run a check disk on the drive, however, if you cannot get into the recovery console you can try force mounting the drive in ubuntu. From the terminal:

$ sudo mount /dev/src /mnt/dst -o force

where /dev/src is the hard drive location and
where /mst/dst is the destination of where you want to mount the hard drive.
December 11, 2009 5:37:01 PM

kyeana said:
It could be that the hard drive has gone bad, in which case there isn't a lot you can do. If you could still get into the windows recovery console, you should run a check disk on the drive, however, if you cannot get into the recovery console you can try force mounting the drive in ubuntu. From the terminal:

$ sudo mount /dev/src /mnt/dst -o force

where /dev/src is the hard drive location and
where /mst/dst is the destination of where you want to mount the hard drive.

Are there any possible side effects of force mounting?

I highly doubt that both drives went bad. Both are under 6 months old, perfect SMART values, and it's extremely unlikely that they'd just suddenly die at the same time.

And the error message says: $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0,0) . . . failed to mount . . Operation not supported, mount denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.

My guess is that this is my fault from when I reset the computer while it was shutting down from safe mode . . . ?
Related resources
December 11, 2009 6:23:56 PM

Well, I tried to force mount a USB Drive that for some reason gets the same message as the two HDDs, and Ubuntu tells me: 'Only Root can do that' :( 

The Flash Drive gets the same error message as the two HDDs, and it wasn't plugged in at all during this entire process until now.

OK, so I just took my flash drive, put it in my Bro's PC, formatted from NTFS to FAT32, and now it works fine in Ubuntu. WTF?

Oh, and I know both HDDs works because not only can I hear them, but when booting into Ubuntu or attempting to boot into Windows I can hear them reading and the HDD light is on like normal.
December 11, 2009 6:49:04 PM

You need to use the "sudo" command in front of the mount command to get root access (it will probably ask for a password).

As for force mounting causing damage to your hard drive, i don't think it will, but i cannot say for certain. There are some more knowledgeable people in the linux/freeBSD forums that could probably give you a better answer.

*Forewarning* This is just a guess, but for the flash drive not working while in NTFS, i think it may have something to do with NTFS having a "dirty" flag on the hard drive, while FAT32 may not have that, or if it did have that it would have been set to "clean" when you formated it. Again, that is just a guess and could be wayyy off the mark, but in my mind it makes sense. I'm sure some googling could give you more info.
April 29, 2010 5:12:22 AM

Hi! I had basically the same problem as BobRay and I found a way to fix it.
- My problem was with a USB external hard drive. I think it was "hot unplugged." Afterwards whenever I plugged it in it made the computer respond very very slowly. :cry: 
- I also tried to use Ubuntu and received the same message as BobRay. I also tried to use a force mount even with SUDO in front of the mount command and I still got the "only root can do this" response. I also tried to "force" it to install on WinXP by "safely remove" and then shutting Windows down. This took a long time to set up with the very very slow response time and Windows never shut down; I let it try all day but it didn't get past "saving your settings" screen. :sleep: 
- THE FIX :wahoo:  : I installed it as a hard drive in my laptop and started to install Windows on it (I figured all was lost and a reformat was needed. I had been using the disk to back up my hard drives). I choose the option "preserve existing files" and install windows on it. The first thing the installation disk did was run CHKDSK. It reported that maintenance was done on the disk and asked for a restart to continue installing. I shut down, reinstalled the disk in a case and looked at it as an external hard drive on another computer. Wow! I got all my files back. This was in a log file:

Checking file system on \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
The type of the file system is NTFS.

The volume is dirty.
Index entry 1{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} of index $I30 in file 0x23 points to unused file 0x28.
Deleting index entry 1{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} in index $I30 of file 35.
Index entry 1{3808~1 of index $I30 in file 0x23 points to unused file 0x28.
Deleting index entry 1{3808~1 in index $I30 of file 35.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.
The upcase file content is incorrect.
Correcting errors in the uppercase file.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
July 6, 2010 2:17:45 AM

cvbt said:
BobRay

Ahem . . .
July 6, 2010 11:49:09 AM

...*mounts hard drive*...
July 6, 2010 7:02:52 PM

The WingDing strikes again! And here I was thinking he left and we were all safe...

Quick, run for you lives while you still can!
!