Sign in with
Your question

Do I need an access point?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 20, 2009 3:21:25 AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I have a pretty simple question. I currently have a WRT54GL router with DD-WRT firmware with a Motorola Surfboard cable modem. My PC is connected via ethernet to the router.

My new Blu Ray player can connect to the internet through ethernet, however it's about 30 feet away and very inconvenient to run a cable through the house. My thought was to set up an access point or whatever I may need within my entertainment center, and run a cable from the port to my Blu Ray player. I've never done this before, but can the signal be transferred this easy? Would I be able to use just my one cable modem, and simply plug my new access point into the wall to receive the signal?

Would this be the same as just using a wireless adapter that is available for the BR player, or would the signal be strengthened once it reaches the access point? Sorry if the questions have been answered, I just want to make sure the answers are tailored to my exact situation. Thanks in advance!!!

More about : access point

!