WD Raptor vs. WD Black Edition

Ramuk

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hey everybody. I'm putting together my new computer tonight and I was wondering which HDD i should use as my main hd with Windows 7. The two hard drives in question are:

Western Digital Raptor 74gb 10,000 RPM (about 5 years old)
or
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (brand new)

If it matters, the following is the rest of my setup:

Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
6gb OCZ Ram 1600
EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked
2 other sata hard drives
Coolermaster HAF 922

Thanks for your help!

(My first post, please tell me if you need any more information)

Solution
I would just go with the WD Black as the Primary boot Hard drive & storage, then use the Raptor for games if you're into that sort of thing. I have the same WD Black 640 GB model and had a raptor 150 GB and could not tell the difference in booting OS, but there was much better performance in gaming.

Ramuk

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah, my raptor is pretty quick too. But I was talking to my brother, and he mentioned something about this hard drive having multiple processors or something to that effect, and that combined with the age of my raptor, made it a contender for a boot hd.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would just go with the WD Black as the Primary boot Hard drive & storage, then use the Raptor for games if you're into that sort of thing. I have the same WD Black 640 GB model and had a raptor 150 GB and could not tell the difference in booting OS, but there was much better performance in gaming.

Solution

pont

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
i asked the same question as you not too long ago.i have the same hardware and wasn't sure my self and what i was told by the guys here was to use the 640 black ed and it has worked out great so far.i use my 74 gig raptor has a storage drive to hold movies that i stream around the house..good luck too ya hope that helped