Private Internet Connection at Work

macattack7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Hello,
Let's say I'm at work hooked up to the company network as usual (not wireless).

Would it be possible to have a tab on the bottom of my screen for a site like gotomypc or logmein, but have that tab using my cell phone wireless internet instead of the company network?

I ask because I've always used logmein to remotely connect to my home computer, but they have now blocked the remote access sites. I thought if I could use my own private internet connection then I could still use logmein as I have been for the last 2 years.

Whether it's possible or not, you are probably asking for instant dismissal by trying to bypass security measures that the company has put in place. You are aking if you can open up a connection from the Internet to your company's internal network that bypasses any firewall that they have installed. If you can't appreciate the possible consequences of that you really shouldn't be allowed to use a computer.

macattack7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

But I wanted a site like logmein to use my own personal network, not the company's network.

If I took my work laptop to a coffee shop for instance and logged on to their wifi and then accessed LogMeIn.com to remotely connect to my home computer I don't think that puts my company at risk.

I'm just looking to do something similar.................but at work, not at the coffee shop. I have a separate business in which I need to check on every now & then throughout the day, but now my employer has blocked the site I've been using for the past 2 years.

Just looking for another solution...........not trying to put my company's network at risk.

I can only say that you don't understand how networking works. As I said originally, in many - if not most - corporations what you are proposing would be grounds for instant dismissal. Opening a backdoor into the company network is most definitely not a good idea.

Talk to your IT people; if they sanction this then I'm sure they can tell you how to do it. If they don't, just accept that their knowledge of IT systems (however poor it may be) is vastly superior to yours.

Get another laptop with a cell modem service. I'm sure ever IT pro on here has spent hours trying to fix a virus/spyware, etc.. that people pick up when they treat their work laptops as their personal laptops. We have a department that likes to download movies using the laptops, we spend probably 10 hours a month just fixing this one set of laptops. Our new policy with them, soon as we see their laptop with a virus, it gets wiped clean, all their local files are gone, so sorry.

macattack7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

The site I was using was called LogMeIn.com. By the way, I saw the exact same program on the IT guy's computer when I was over at his office about a year ago.

What is the difference between a website like logmein vs a website like yahoo or google or cnn? Logmein just happens to show my home computer instead of news or other content, but still, it's just a website like any other website. What's the difference?

Also I don't sit at work & just do my own personal stuff all day. I just like to keep the screen up & look at it occasionally. For instance I just did a project for 2 1/2 hours non-stop, and now I'm taking a little break. I didn't meant to make it sound like I was running a business from my cube & not doing what they pay me to do.

but have that tab using my cell phone wireless internet instead of the company network
That's the bit that shows that you don't understand what you are asking. That would produce a link into your network that bypassed the company firewall. That's completely different from using a program like logmein to access your home computer. Surely you can understand why such a backdoor into the company network is not desirable.

The answer is simple - just ask your IT guys to set this up for you.

macattack7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

I understand what I was asking; I just don't know if it's at all possible. I wanted a tab on my computer which is routed to my cell phone internet only...............not connected to my work network at all...............completely separate.

If I was at a coffee shop for example & connected to their wifi that's not bypassing the company firewall since I'm not connected to my company if I'm at the coffee shop. I wanted a tab on my computer which was the equivalent of the coffee shop connection.

I asked IT guy, but they took away all admin rights on new computers, and he said he they weren't able to allow access for the site I wanted. Right now I'm using teamviewer which works for some reason. I'm not sure what the difference is between them & logmein or gotomypc, but teamviewer works & they don't.

I'm glad that you got the answer to your question. Looks like the IT guys at your place know their stuff.