bcrdnCola

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I'm in the process of doing a new build for my main gaming rig (Quad core, 4GB Ram, nearly 2TB of storage, etc etc), and in the process decided that I also wanted to build an HTPC once I was finished with that.

The HTPC is mostly going to serve as a media storage and playback device (no need for tuner cards here), and it is important to me that it does three things.

1. Appear to belong with my current A/V equipment
2. Output HDMI 1080p
3. Be quiet (that's mostly a given)

On that note, I started looking at cases first and managed to find this: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=lc19&area=usa

I love the look of this case, mostly because of how slim it is. I would end up getting it in black, but that isn't important for what I want to do. If I were to go this route with this case, I have a couple questions.

Since the built in PWS is only 120W, what MoBo/CPU combo would you all recommend I use with this, and what CPU cooler? Due to it's slim nature, the cooler can't be taller than 35mm, so I would end up having to use something that consumed considerably less power than current gen processors, and consequesntly, produces less heat.

So, what do you think?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Use one of the 780G nvidia chipset boards, I just got the Foxconn A7GM-S microatx board, it will handle HD playback without a discrete gpu.

Bout $70, added an AMD 5000+ Black edition, and I got a Thermaltake Wings RS case, as I had vertical, not horizontal space.

Can't hear it run from a foot away, the 500watt psu shows around a 110w draw.

Fast forward 1 week, I added a 3870 vid card for hybrid graphics, (highest supported now, 4xxx later) and oc'd the cpu from 2.66 to 3.1, and have a system capable of gaming most anything (cept crysis) on my 42" plasma.

All for about $275, and quiet, and cool.

TRENDING THREADS