sukma

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
hello everyone i am trying to update my Motherboard BIOS and i need some help. i am looking for the right BIOS but cannot find them (or should i say i have found them but i am not about to PAY $39.99 for an update that should be free)

if anyone could post a link were i can get the BIOS without being charged for something that should be free i would be greatly happy.here are the specs of my motherboard.

BIOS Typ: Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date:September 22nd 2003
BIOS ID:09/22/2003-VT8367-8235-6A6LVE1HC-00-None
BIOS OEM:K7VTA3 V6.0A 09/22/2003-600PG
Chipset:VIA 82C3099 REV 0
SuperIO:ITE8705/sis 950 rev 2 at port 002E
Manufacture:VIA Technologies.Inc
Motherboard:VT8367-8235

my BIOS is realy outdated and need the update to run my system better. thank you.

sukma

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
that i know...i wouldnt be updateing the BIOS if i did not hafto..i need it to fix compatability issues with some things..my computer is custom built not a factory brand you can buy int the stores..

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I got a BIOS a few years ago that I paid $80 for because MSI had stopped supporting the mobo. I wanted to use a larger HD than the ~30GB the mobo was limited to and didn't feel like upgrading the whole machine. These guys were the ones that were doing all the BIOS updates for all the mobos. I even called them to confirm it was the correct BIOS. They insisted it was correct, I got screwed anyway. The BIOS flash process had no errors, so it was their bad BIOS. They wouldn't ship me the chip and I had to send them the mobo so they could see what went wrong with their BIOS. Needless to say I shipped them the mobo and immediately went out and upgraded the machine.

Good luck finding a free one that will work, and good luck buying one that will work as well.

I just wanted you to be prepared.

sukma

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Nevermind i looked around and my wife and i decided to just buy a new PC this one we have is giveing us nothing but trouble..custom home built isnt always better lol. gona be going with a Alienware Area-51 Quad Core Flagship

Windows Vista® Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Extreme (12MB Cache, 1600MHz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
NVIDIA 790i Ultra SLI Chipse
2GB ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2
1TB storage
4x Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner
Sound Blaster X-Fi High Definition Surround Sound Audio

gona break us but its better then useing the crapy Computer we have now -_-

Stop. Think about what your doing! You are fixing to spend a ton of money you don't need too. Your old system may be in a big need of replacing, but you are paying a lot of money just because the system you are buying says "Alienware" on it. Like randomizer says, you can build the same thing yourself, or buy it somewhere else, with a few different parts that will not hurt your performance at all, for literally half the money. (or even less)

sukma

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Oh? well if you can give me some ideas that would help and i am going for pure gameing and movies.i have around $2,500 to put into i would need to know your thoughts on Motherboard,HD,video card,sound card and Processor.

realy your help would save me alot of time and pain. thank you all

Well with that budget, you have a lot of flexibility. Although I don't think you necessarily need to blow the whole wad on a decent gaming machine.

First off I would go with quad core. Most people will hop on this and say the dual core is better for gaming, and I would have to agree to a certain extent. Here comes the but, but there are a few games in the pipeline (ex Alan Wake) and some already released (ex Supreme Commander) that will utilize quad cores. The trend is more threads, so it just makes sense to plan for the future. You can get a Q6600 for around $230. If you would rather spend a little more and go Penryn, then a Q9400-Q9550 should fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Next motherboard. This is highly dependent. I won't be suggesting a SLI option because I personally don't see the value there. Also nVidia has had some reliability issues with their chipsets lately (SATA), and they tend to be quite hot. So there are really only two options left. If you want to go with a single card with very little possibility of going CrossFire, then pick something with the P45 chipset. If CrossFire is something you definitely want to do, then pick a motherboard with a X48 chipset. Brand, and features should determine what exact motherboard you pick.

Video card is easy. If you have to have the absolute fastest single card, the 4870X2 is the way to go. Again manufacturer will be up to you, base your decision on warranty, bundle and price. If you don't have to have the fastest card money can buy I would get a 4870. The 4850 (at least for me) is too much compromise and with your budget, it's not warranted. Either of these cards provides an upgrade path to CrossFire.

Hard drive is a very subjective topic. Personally I like Seagate and their 5 year warranty. That said I have heard rumors of unreliability concerning their latest generation (11) drives. Since you mentioned movies as one of your prime uses, I would shoot for a 1.5GB drive. I know Seagate has them. As for RAID 0, it's really not needed. Sure it's fast, but for you it's really not worth the hassle or risk.

Sound card is trickier. Most people are satisfied with onboard sound, I'm not one of those. A year ago, I would have wholeheartedly recommended Creative. After the Daniel K fiasco, I won't buy another Creative product. They still supply the best sound solution for gaming though. I am intrigued with ASUS's Sonar line. They simulate EAX 4 as well, though it isn't a flawless emulation from what I've read.

Now although you didn't mention it, it's a common mistake by first time builders. A PSU is nearly the most critical part of your computer, and the most overlooked. Picking an actual model requires the you finalize your build as far as GPU(s) and to a less extent CPU. These two components are going to draw the most power from your supply. Stick with respected manufacturers. The likes of PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, and Corsair's high end supplies. A bare minimum for the low end of my suggestions would be 600-650W. If you shoot for a 4870X2 or CrossFire 4870's, I would go above 700W. Remember to give yourself enough headroom to upgrade later.

Also a case is pretty important. You want something that has plenty of room, air flow, and isn't too noisy. There are a lot of options out there, and picking a case can be highly aesthetic.

Hope that gets you started. Update this post with your suggestions as well as any components you decide on so that we can critique them for you and steer you clear of any pitfalls.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
WOW man...

I never thought i would see the day when the solution to a problem such as a bios update would be to purchase an over-priced computer.

Yes alienware is nice but ridiculously expensive. Plus, with an Extreme processor which at street prices is almost $1000 bucks. A side note on Extreme processor, don't buy them unless you intend to use them.

That's just over-kill dude.

You could spend half that $2,500 bucks and customize a system that you will be very happy with. As far as processors go, start off with a Q6600 processor and a nice ASUS or EVGA motherboard. 4GB of Ram DDR2-800. Either stick with the onboard sound or go for something nice like a SB X-Fi Titanium, DVD-Rom and a DVD-Rom Burner (there pretty cheap now). I tossed out my 3.5" floppy drive. I got the ThermalTake Armor+ case which was nice but alot of people like the Antec Coolmasters. Nice 20" Flatpanel Widescreen. I don't even think i'm up to $1000 bucks yet and if i am, i'm not that much over it.

sukma

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
thank you techgeek that helps me out alot.i looked into the parts you suggested.all together its gona cost me around $1,476 wich is great cuz i will be geting a system that will play the new games i am wanting and i will still have alot of money left over. thank you again for your input on this :D

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Try my rig that I put together here:
First, an ASUS P5Q Pro motherbaord. Good board. Has RAID and PCI-E2.0 Crossfire. - $105 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

For the CPU, a Q6600. Can't lose there. - $185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

For RAM, 4GB DDR2-800 should be plenty. This set from G.Skill is cheap and popular for a reason. - $50.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

For the GPU, I recommend the Sapphire HD4870 1GB. It should be able to max out any game at 1920x1200 pretty well. If you ever need to upgrade, you could buy another HD4870 down the road. - $265 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102795

For the PSU, a Corsair TX750W should be up to the job of easily handling CF HD4870's an overclocked Quad, and several drives, and it's a really good deal right now. - $82 AR and discount.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
For the Case, you might want to choose, but the Thermaltake Armor+MX is looking good. $100 AR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133062

Add vista and a few drives of your choosing, and it should come out just over 1 grand.