Sign in with
Your question

System restore address

Last response: in Windows XP
December 12, 2010 11:40:29 PM

Hello,
I changed the default system restore link(address) to C:windows in the system propertys, system restore tab. Now when I try to do a system restore, it doesn't go to the address it is supposed to. What was it before I changed it.How can I get to it from C:windows>

More about : system restore address

December 13, 2010 3:18:54 AM

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
December 13, 2010 10:10:39 AM

Hi,
I couldn't run "%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe"
from the only access to the system I have(The Recovery Console). Any suggestions on how to boot without using "fixboot"? If I can't get it running, I'll have to take it to my local computer repair place.
Thanks for the quick response.
Related resources
December 13, 2010 10:51:48 AM

seaplanerand said:
Hello,
I changed the default system restore link(address) to C:windows in the system propertys, system restore tab. Now when I try to do a system restore, it doesn't go to the address it is supposed to. What was it before I changed it.How can I get to it from C:windows>

I am at a loss as to what and where this "link" is that you speak of. I have no system restore tab or link. I use the Start>Help and Support>Undo changes to your computer with System restore, method of accessing this function.

You fowled something up that I can't seem to find. This "System Properties" you speak of, where do you find that?

The %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe is usually C׃\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

December 13, 2010 1:46:27 PM

Hi Tigsounds or anybody,
It looks like I changed the default operating system from "Windows XP Media Center Edition". On my other PC it is "Windows XP Media Center Edition"/fast detect/noEcecute=optin. It is an older computer, Is this what it should be on my newer computer? If it is, how can I change it back from the Recovery Console?
December 13, 2010 2:17:49 PM

Hi Tigsounds and everybody,
Sorry I didn't give you guys more information on my problem. I found this help,

1) Insert your Windows disk and when you are prompted, press R to enter the Windows Recovery Console. (I'm already at the Recovery Console)
2) You'll then need to select one of your Windows installation and enter the Administrator's password.
3) When you reach the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild and hit Enter.
and I am trying it now.
It says Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error maybe caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.
What do I do about that?
December 13, 2010 9:17:26 PM

You messed up the boot.ini file.

Here's a couple links to instructions on how to fix that...

Here

Here

Both of these methods are nearly the same.

December 14, 2010 12:58:44 AM

Hi All,
Thanks Bad Kitty,
That was good information. Rebuild was unsuccessful. It said to run chkdsk. My volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
My boot.ini is;
[1] "Windows XP Media Center Edition"
OS Load Options : /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
OS Location: C: \WINDOWS
What is the next step I should take?
December 14, 2010 1:35:55 AM

Hi all,
Would it be a bad thing to use fixboot to re-wright the bootsector? What happens if I do that? Will my files still be there?
December 14, 2010 9:06:05 AM

seaplanerand said:
Hi all,
Would it be a bad thing to use fixboot to re-wright the bootsector? What happens if I do that? Will my files still be there?

Since you can boot with the XP disk, boot, and then run chkdsk /f /r
Then try to repair boot.ini again.

If all else fails... but before you do something you might regret...

boot with the CD.
watch what you're doing closely. Do not allow a format to take place.
select a repair
install files will be written.
computer re-boots after MS-DOS portion is complete.
When it boots again, poke the F8 key once a second while machine is re-starting.
The boot choices screen will appear. Choose to start normally.
It should show your original XP install as well as the new XP Installation as choices.
choose your original XP and let it start.
If it all worked, go to control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery, and change the default startup back to your original install.
click the edit button and delete the new setup/install as a choice so it can never come back to haunt you.
click ok

use Windows explorer to delete the setup/install temp files in the root of the system drive (2 folders, start with dollar signs)
December 15, 2010 1:10:17 AM

Hi Tigsounds,
Thank you soo much for all of your help. I learned so much these past few days. The XP disc I have was an older one( my HP has the Windows disc on the D: hard drive. I wasn't able to do the chkdsk /f /r. So, I gave up today and took it to IO Software here in Flint. My wife was getting worried about our data, so I took the wimp's way out. Once again I really appreciate all of your help.
December 21, 2010 8:33:16 PM

Hi all,
I got the computer back, with a fresh factory install every thing is good no data lost. Now, how do I recover my user profiles? I know there are user data file and I know where they are. What do I do with them?

By the way, they said I had a bunch of "moles". They also told me what to do when their windows pop up.
!