Sony R830G
Intel Pent 4 CPU
3.40 GHZ
2 GB Ram
RadeonX 1800XL
256 MB GDDR3
Dell 24" LCD
Running Screen Res at 1900 x 1200
Full time Flt Simmer running MS FSX Acceleration on the hard drive.

After much study, I've decided my new graphics card replacement will be the Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. The remaining concern I have is my computer's CPU

The Flt Sim needs alot help in this area, would the P35 motherboard be a step in the right direction ? My budget is around $200 Canadian.

( My goal is to run with this upgrade for about the next 24 months )

Cheers for now.

More about : cpu concern

August 18, 2008 12:07:27 AM

Go for a P45 mobo, are you planning to crossfire at all? Nehalem is on it way, fairly soon.
August 18, 2008 12:20:56 AM

My upgrade at the present time is a short term fix till I can manage a full system upgrade...... alas a crossfire setup isn't in the cards. Can you tell me more about the "P45 Mobo" - capacity , cost etc ? Thank you for your input .

DHC3
Related resources
August 18, 2008 12:24:55 AM

You need both new motherboard and cpu to not horribly bottleneck the 4870. $200 Canadan won't cover everything.
August 18, 2008 12:25:50 AM

@Shadowthor, Nehalem will be released in late 2008 for high-end desktop and dual-processor platforms and in Q3 2009 for mainstream desktop and mobile platforms.

Not that soon.

@dhc3 I would say a new 4850 should suit you well. A faster CPU would deff help but then you have to ask yourself.......these questions, can you fit a new mb into that case and then if you upgrade the cpu what about the power supply? You might want to rethink and maybe look into getting a new system.
August 18, 2008 12:51:42 AM

Appreciate the input people,

Caamsa you raise some valid points..... and I agree fitting a new mb could be an issue. Maybe for the time being I go ahead and install the HD 4850 and take it "one step at a time". If preformance becomes a concern deal with it then.

Cheers gang.

August 18, 2008 1:27:27 AM

dhc3 said:
Appreciate the input people,

Caamsa you raise some valid points..... and I agree fitting a new mb could be an issue. Maybe for the time being I go ahead and install the HD 4850 and take it "one step at a time". If preformance becomes a concern deal with it then.

Cheers gang.

Don't over look the power supply......you might get that card and it wont work because your power supply is too whimpy......

You will need a 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector.
August 18, 2008 1:39:52 AM

I must admit I'm having some trouble understanding the power output on this computer of mine. When I visit the spec sheet ... under "Power Requirments" it says the following - 364.7 watts max / 100-240v -7A ( 50/60 hz )

Having read your comment, maybe this could be a problem ? Is there some after market help available ?

August 19, 2008 1:48:20 AM

dhc3 said:
I must admit I'm having some trouble understanding the power output on this computer of mine. When I visit the spec sheet ... under "Power Requirments" it says the following - 364.7 watts max / 100-240v -7A ( 50/60 hz )

Having read your comment, maybe this could be a problem ? Is there some after market help available ?

I'm not sure what kind of power supply you could use in your case. I googled your computer model number and found nothing. Can you give me a link and maybe I can help you out.

A lot of pre-built computer systems are proprietary and you can usually only replace the parts from the company that built the system. But some times you can find after market stuff that will fit. Just depends on the system. A lot of times it is the computer case that is built/setup in such a way that no other motherboard or power supply can fit in without some modifications.
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2008 2:22:41 AM

If FSX is what you want, a faster CPU will help far more than a graphics card.
August 19, 2008 2:39:11 AM

The following description is taken from the spec sheet - Sony VAIO RA Series Digital Studio PC VGC-RA830G Desktop.

Did a quick look for any hints at the back of the hard drive ...... nothing !!

Good luck, appreciate the effort.
August 19, 2008 11:11:19 PM

dhc3 said:
The following description is taken from the spec sheet - Sony VAIO RA Series Digital Studio PC VGC-RA830G Desktop.

Did a quick look for any hints at the back of the hard drive ...... nothing !!

Good luck, appreciate the effort.

Is this your system?

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Sony_VAIO_RA830G/VGC-RA83...

If you could replace the power supply, drop in a core2 processor and get a 4850 video card that would be a pretty decent gaming machine. But I don't think your mother board would support a core2. I would look into replacing the power supply first, to make sure it can be done. It looks like it would take a regular power supply. You will have to open up the machine and take a look. If so you could replace the power supply and get a 4850 or if you are brave just get the 4850 and see if it works with your current system.

Good luck.

August 20, 2008 2:03:42 AM

Yes sir, you nailed it !

"Discontinued" makes the computer sound likes its over the hill .... but I suppose in the electronic world its the truth.

Caamsa, after all your help which has been terrific ... I'm going to press on and purchase the 4850 and investigate the power source when were ready to do the install.

Onca again cheers for your contribution.

dhc3
November 25, 2008 2:24:30 AM

How in the world can you replace the CPU in the Sony VGC-RA830G? I tried doing it today but the heatpipes on the CPU would not budge.
!