Would a q6600 run great with a 9800 gtx?

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
MY current build is an am2 4200 dual core @ 2.2 ghz and does not overclock, had problems with it getting to 100C, system failure, etc. My motherboard is an m2n4 sli, 2gb ddr2 @800 mhz, 9800 GTX. My cpu bottlenecks my gpu, my proof is because no matter what settings i have The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion at I get no better performance, hdr can be on, off, AA off or on, it's all the same performance. I was wondering how well would a q6600 and a new motherboard + PSU would run on a 9800 GTX? I want the quad because it is more future proof and would not have to upgrade nearly as soon. I have the money to make the upgrade, should I do it, take my old parts and rebuild it into a new pc and sell it off to make up for what I've spent? Views and replies greatly appreciated.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=0

A recent article on CPU scaling.

It's going to depend on the game you are playing.

I get far better performance in Warhammer Online with an overclocked E8400, compared to people with Q6600s running stock. (we all have 8800GTs)

My personal impression is that I would only buy a Q9550 or better for gaming. I bought the E8400 for that reason. I figured I could upgrade to quad later when it became needed.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
First, try fixing your present system. Either your HS is NOT fully in contact with CPU, or your fan is running slow, or your HS is clogged with fluff. What HS so you have? Does your POST message correctly ID your CPU? Does your OS show 2 cores? Is your CPU running at 2.2GHz? Check with CPU-Z. I have a 4200 x2 S939 and that runs fine.
If you DO need more speed, you can fit a 6000 CPU and get 50% more speed.

Mike.

Cymus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The thing is, the e8400 is around the same price as the q6600, and the games will run well enough, im saying i will probably get a performance increase later on because of more things being multiple threaded?

bobwya

May 21, 2005

You can't tell much at all about an unstable system... You need to get that working before you start thinking about upgrading. Is it only unstable when you try to overclock?

If you built that system yourself then you need to establish what mistakes you have made this time:
■ wrong MB (too cheap, doesn't OC)
■ poor case airflow
■ poorly mounted CPU heatsink/poor TIM compound choice
■ need to upgrade motherboard BIOS?
etc, etc.

or what has changed in the environment:
■ build up of dust in the system
■ higher air temperatures etc.
etc.

Do you have a decent PSU and case cooling?? Get that right before you start throwing good money after bad.

Don't sell anything second-hand till you have established what isn't working... Otherwise it can be a good way to get a bad reputation!! :whistle:

Bob

Q6600 would tower over that AMD you have, but the best answer is an OVERCLOCKED q6600 would run great with a 9800GTX

IronSight

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

I agree the Q6600 is an overclocking machine and very friendly doing so.
Besides the only processor scoring a lot of points is a 489 euros 9650 which is pretty much twice as expensive as the Q6600 yet only scores 16,66% more frames in the 'worst' benchmark, in the others the difference is unnoticable (5 FPS).

CPU vs GPU is greatly exaggerated and an overclocked Q6600 can do perfect wonders while saving you a-lot of $$