Sign in with
Your question

Using HIS Radeon HD 3850 in a 4x slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2008 11:33:29 PM

Dear all,

I read several threads about using a 8x card in a 4x slot. In general, the conclusion is it is possible. But before buying I want to know if someone has a HIS Radeon HD 3850 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, AGP 8x working in a 4x slot.

Regards

Thanks in advance

More about : radeon 3850 slot

August 21, 2008 4:55:54 AM

I haven't yet, but I am going to be getting one very shortly for my secondary Pentium III machine. I'll be getting the Sapphire though probably. Going to see just what the P3's can do. (2x Pentium 3's @ 1.4GHz, 2gigs PC133) I'll let you know when I get it.
August 21, 2008 11:11:10 AM

costados said:
Dear all,

I read several threads about using a 8x card in a 4x slot. In general, the conclusion is it is possible. But before buying I want to know if someone has a HIS Radeon HD 3850 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, AGP 8x working in a 4x slot.

Regards

Thanks in advance

They work, but i guess your spending too much money on it. If you have a AGP 4x it is likely that your CPU is below the Barton (AMD) and Prescott (Intel) Cores. This means it isn't even a top end one core CPU. I would go to a 2600 AGP or something weaker.

Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
August 21, 2008 11:39:20 AM

I have a HD3850 in an old pc with AGPx4 and it works just fine
August 21, 2008 6:47:46 PM

radnor said:
They work, but i guess your spending too much money on it. If you have a AGP 4x it is likely that your CPU is below the Barton (AMD) and Prescott (Intel) Cores. This means it isn't even a top end one core CPU. I would go to a 2600 AGP or something weaker.

Don't take them out of the picture too soon. He could be running dual Athlon XP 2600+'s and 2 gigs of DDR. The MSI K7D MASTER does that and only has an AGP 4x slot. Since it's only 4x it wouldn't hurt to get the best card you can to compensate. And they're relatively cheap now. 135 bucks on newegg.com. For games like Crysis, which aren't nearly as CPU dependent as it is GPU, I bet you he can hit medium settings without lag with the right AGP 4x setup and a 3850.
August 22, 2008 9:13:14 AM

Luthierman88 said:
Don't take them out of the picture too soon. He could be running dual Athlon XP 2600+'s and 2 gigs of DDR. The MSI K7D MASTER does that and only has an AGP 4x slot. Since it's only 4x it wouldn't hurt to get the best card you can to compensate. And they're relatively cheap now. 135 bucks on newegg.com. For games like Crysis, which aren't nearly as CPU dependent as it is GPU, I bet you he can hit medium settings without lag with the right AGP 4x setup and a 3850.

I know that board pretty well. Doesn't work with dual athlon XP, onlt Athlon MP. You can transform the XP into MP with a L5 Bridge shunt, but i can't remember the details. It was a long time ago. Anyway, the MP versions came with double L2 cache.

It was a great board.
August 22, 2008 6:54:18 PM

radnor said:
I know that board pretty well. Doesn't work with dual athlon XP, onlt Athlon MP. You can transform the XP into MP with a L5 Bridge shunt, but i can't remember the details. It was a long time ago. Anyway, the MP versions came with double L2 cache.

It was a great board.

My mistake, but you get what I am trying to say :)  I really liked the old dual Socket motherboards. As I mentioned up top I have a Dual P3 board running two 1.4GHz P3's and it's very respectable for 7 year old processors. Can run F.E.A.R. on medium, and that's with a crappy video card. Once I get my 3850 I'll see what they can really do. I've decided on the IceQ 3 HIS 3850. Only one I've found that jets the air out of the case, and it looks pretty awesome.
!