Sign in with
Your question

8800gt Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2008 12:36:07 AM

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask for your opinion before I go ahead and RMA my graphics card.

I have a PNY 8800Gt and it crashes when I run any 3d applications. I discovered this yesterday when trying to load the first level of Unreal Tournament III. It also crashes every time within two seconds when I scan for artifacts in ATITool; although when I just show the 3d cube it seems to handle itself ok. Also, by crash I mean it completely freezes up my computer, giving an occasional screen blink.

Anyway, this is happening just two days after I put together my new system, though I think it's just coincidence. I've got a Q6600, OCZ Titanium Ram (4gb), and a Biostar Tpower I45 motherboard for the record. I've run Prime95 for a few hours and the processor and ram seem to be alright. I've also done memtest and that checked out fine as well. I have an Ultra 600W power supply so I don't think that's the problem either.

I have also done numerous restores and driver reinstallations with the card. When the card freezes the temp is usually around 63 C so I don't think it's overheating.

So I guess my final question is, do you think it's time to RMA? And is there anything else I could try? And also, is there any possibility that something could just be wrong with the motherboard?

Thanks,
Alex

More about : 8800gt crashing

August 18, 2008 12:52:41 AM

Did you disable your antivirus before installing your video drivers????I came across this problem a couple years ago with the Nvidia drivers.,I found that by disabling the antivirus then installing video drivers then rebooting,it made for a clean driver install with no issues.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
2X EVGA 8800GT in SLI
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
August 18, 2008 1:06:28 AM

I'll give it a try. I only run Avira and it gives a notification when it comes across anything it doesn't like, but maybe it didn't tell me about something? It is always on though, so perhaps. It worked for a day or so after I installed the new drivers which is why I'm a little confused.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Related resources
August 18, 2008 1:15:50 AM

An antivirus won't have much to do with anything. If the card artifacts in atiTool while idle, then it's damaged. RMA time.
August 18, 2008 1:57:19 AM

AlexLastName what is the 12 volt rail of the ultra psu the 8800gt takes 26 amps.if you suff internet or any thing else does it work ok.
August 18, 2008 5:58:58 AM

It does work ok when I surf the internet and for pretty much all 2d applications; I assume the power supply is ok because it has two 12v's which I assume is intended for dual graphics. Also, I bought the card in December and it's been working fine until now.

I'm just afraid that I might send the card out for warranty and it'll turn out that it's not the problem. So I just want to make sure I'm covered since I just put all the stuff together on Thursday. It did work for a couple of days before it stopped working. There's no chance that something is wrong with the PCIE slot is there? And could I test it in the slave PCIE drive just to be sure or would it not run unless both slots are filled?
August 18, 2008 6:17:34 AM

Oh, and also, I did try the antivirus thing and that didn't do it. And now that I think about it, the card could have gotten messed up somewhere in the building process. The only game I've really been playing in the past few days was Black and White 2 until I got Unreal Tournament. So perhaps that game just wasn't pushing the card hard enough to make it crash. Just a thought though.
August 23, 2008 8:27:59 PM

try lowering the core clock (from 650 down to 640 ) with rivatuner, it will make ur card more stable
!