Hi all, need some advice about CPU not very expensive for gaming

G

Hi all.

I have been reading all the articles I found but I still dont know which CPU is the best for me.

I want a PC for everything but the games is what most requests (GPU: ASUS HD4870).
I will probably no Overclock my Pc. And reading some articles here I think DDR3 is too expensive and I will not notice the difference.

Surely it is better for my 2 cores than 4. And AMD AM2 are cheaper than intel ones.

I spect the price of the cpu is about 190-250$, 160-200€. Better the cheaper it is in that range :lol:.

Soo I ask:
1) 2 or 4 cores?
2) DDR3 has soo bad performance/price ratio as I think?
3) What cpu for me?

Sorry I dont speak english very well. Thanks all.

IronSight

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
As far as my knowledge go games often haven´t supported 2 cores, but newer titles will, so 2 cores should suffice for future or extra oomhp a 4 core processor is well within grasp.

Particularly the Q6600 is a affordable processor that has very good ratings across the board even in CPU to GPU scaling it comes in as a tight third choice in with 179 Euro´s it´s almost a bargain.

I myself posted up a threat not long ago about the difference between DDR2 and DDR3, it seems that as of now nothing really uses DDR3´s power and therefor you can save some Euro´s by getting a DDR2 board and some High-class DDR2 Ram modules.

I myself am running a;

Q6600
2x Club3D 4870x2
And 4GB of OCZ Reaper Memory.

And it runs smooth as silk, although my GPU's outclass my CPU by a lot there's no processor available yet that wouldn't do it anyways, and considering the Q6600 being a steal and the other processor that had 5FPS more would cost me double.
I didn't take the effort to release one card and buy a extremely expensive processor.

IronSight

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I can't edit my post, so I'll post the updated one here.

As far as my knowledge go games often haven´t supported more than 2 cores (optimised), but newer titles will, so 2 cores should suffice for future or extra oomhp a 4 core processor is well within grasp.

Particularly the Q6600 is a affordable processor that has very good ratings across the board even in CPU to GPU scaling it comes in as a tight third choice in with 179 Euro´s it´s almost a bargain.

So the Q9650 drives a FSB of 1333MHZ
The Q6600 is running on a 1066MHZ FSB

The Processor running first is the Q9650 but almost costs 500 Euro's and has an astounding 5 FPS increase and in a most profitable game it had around 13 FPS more, but these were well above the 100FPS (Q6600 was running 119 and the Q9650 was running 132 - 133)
Meaning you won't notice the difference anyway.
So yes my system might be bottlenecked, but it would almost as much be with a 500 euro Processor, therefor the Q6600 is a massive massive BANG for the buck.

I myself posted up a threat not long ago about the difference between DDR2 and DDR3, it seems that as of now nothing really uses DDR3´s power and therefor you can save some Euro´s by getting a DDR2 board and some High-class DDR2 Ram modules.

I myself am running a;

Q6600
2x Club3D 4870x2
And 4GB of OCZ Reaper Memory.

And it runs smooth as silk, although my GPU's outclass my CPU by a lot there's no processor available yet that wouldn't do it anyways, and considering the Q6600 being a steal and the other processor that had 5FPS more would cost me double.
I didn't take the effort to release one card and buy a extremely expensive processor.

G

Thanks Guys for your help ...

They are really good advise, I saw the new CPU charts and surely i will buy one E8600 or similar, because now is the best choice for games.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yea, if your not everclocking take a look at the q8200 (if its out yet) and q9300, these will ensure your up to date, if you can get a good deal on a q6600 (ie less than the previous) go for it as it is a great chip. i think buying a quad is a safe investment, becasue games that dont support quad dont support dual core (for the most part) and when game come around hat are multithreaded then they will support quads.

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Sorry I forgot to validate the account and i lost it soo now my old posts r anonymus.

q9x00 are too expensive for me, and I think its too much money for only some frames more.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz ( 1066 MHz )
So if it works 1066MHz that means :

fsb = 1066 / 4 = 266 real fsb speed
ram is 266 x 2 = 533
so cpu speed is 266 x 9 = 2394mhz

Soo i cant use mid speed ram(800) and im sure all games without multithreaded will run reallly much fater with e8400 and games with multithreaded will not notice very much diference.

And Age of Conan only runs with 2 cores ... if u use q6600 the first two cores are used but the other 2 are just looking around.

A ... one last question about DDR 3:
fsb = 1066 / 4 = 266 real fsb speed
ram is 266 x 2 = 533 OR ram is 266 x 3 = 799->800??

Please, if Im wrong and thats not true please explain me why not... thanks for your help :)