Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive is slow

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2009 5:57:36 AM

Hey fellas lately one of my HD is not working properly. I have a total of 3 and on the one that is not working, I have many movies that when I open them they are EXTREMELY slow. It takes 2 mins to open windows media player. I tried to open it using divx, VLC media player and they are all the same. When I play movies from my other 2 drives, they play flawlessly. All 3 are Seagate brand. I tested the faulty HD with "SeaTools" by 1st doing a "S.M.A.R.T Check" and then "Short Drive Self Test". Both passed. When I ran the "Long Drive Self Test", I got failed error midway through. The other strange thing is that at one point the 3rd drive went missing in "My Computer". I checked device manager under "disk drives" to see if it was there, and it was not. I went to BIOS, but it was there :eek:  Also when I restart my PC, the windows green bar going across comes up, and then the screen goes black for up to 20 mins before the login screen appears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh and I have Vista 64 BTW.

More about : hard drive slow

a b G Storage
December 12, 2009 6:15:58 AM

Seems like you already know to go through the basics but I'll ask anyway. Do you know how full the HDD is and have you tried plugging into another computer yet?
m
l
December 12, 2009 6:18:43 AM

No I haven't tried it on another PC. Right now I have 262 GB free of 931 GB.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2009 3:31:58 PM

are these all internal HDDs?
m
l
December 13, 2009 3:45:24 PM

double check your connections...even if the drive is bad it should show up if it is connected properly
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2009 1:30:26 AM

sammytheman said:
Hey fellas lately one of my HD is not working properly. I have a total of 3 and on the one that is not working, I have many movies that when I open them they are EXTREMELY slow. It takes 2 mins to open windows media player. I tried to open it using divx, VLC media player and they are all the same. When I play movies from my other 2 drives, they play flawlessly. All 3 are Seagate brand. I tested the faulty HD with "SeaTools" by 1st doing a "S.M.A.R.T Check" and then "Short Drive Self Test". Both passed. When I ran the "Long Drive Self Test", I got failed error midway through. The other strange thing is that at one point the 3rd drive went missing in "My Computer". I checked device manager under "disk drives" to see if it was there, and it was not. I went to BIOS, but it was there :eek:  Also when I restart my PC, the windows green bar going across comes up, and then the screen goes black for up to 20 mins before the login screen appears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh and I have Vista 64 BTW.

Give me this information:
-Turn the computer on for around 30minutes, then download HDtune and tell me the temperature in C of the hard drive you are talking about.
-Try Defragmenting it.
-I suggest doing a full LLF or a normal full format and put everything back so your Filesystem is fresh new and speedy.
m
l
December 15, 2009 4:03:04 AM

Thanks for your advice blackhawk, I did an "error scan" and the results are as follows:

Damaged blocks: 100%
Scanning speed: 9729.6
Position: 953488 MB
Elapsed Times: 11:15

Oh and the temp was 30 C

So I thing my drive is caput.

m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2009 6:03:42 PM

Try doing a LLF first. And your temps are fine,
Try doing a a full or low-level format first with any free utility.
m
l
!