killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I Recently Downloaded SetFSB Software To Overclock My Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, but It Does'nt Show It. The Motherboards Model Number is : ICS953008BFLF. It Is An ASUS P5VD2-VM
I Cant Get Onto BIOS Because I Dont Have The Password.

Please Help

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Remove the little round battery on your motherboard for several minutes and reinstall. Your bios password should be erased and all bios settings at default.

Now you should be able to OC from Bios.

killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Would Anything Bad Happen If i Do It Wrong? & What Is Stored In The CMOS?

Is There Software Compatible With Vista To Do It Instead.

I Dont Fell Confident Taking Out The CMOS

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Here is the Manual for your MB
http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/9353/

Go to View/Download Page »

VIEW/DOWNLOAD

Go to page 36 (type in box upper left)

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but if you need help to clear the CMOS, you are not ready to do any overclocking. It's time to do some studying.

First the various Windows overclocking utilities are pretty much designed for computers with locked or "no frills" BIOS's. You should learn to use the BIOS.

Two guides:
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Then google something like "asus p5vd2 overclock" for suggestions that will work on your board.

And my usual disclaimer :) : Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. Because there are so many variables, what you achieve may or may not be better than someone else.

For example, there are a lot of us here overclocking E5200's. Quite a few are getting past 4 GHz. The best that I have been able to do is 3.78 GHz. :(
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Try this,,1,Shut off your computer.2,open it up and remove the flat battery for a few minutes maybe 5. 3,put it back in.4,plug in your computer and turn it on,you can also jumper the cmos on the motherboard,your manual will show where the cmos jumper is usually it is near the battery [usually],CMOSCleaner is in ISO format ready to be written to a cd..Remember none of us were born knowing anything about computers we all had to take that first step and if you have any more questions,,well that is what this forum is for....:)

killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks For The Info, Im Quite Young So I Dont Know Alot. What Happens When You Jumper The CMOS and What Is It?

rob_cunningham

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hey,

I can remember being new to this as well becasue it was not that long ago.

Clearing the CMOS by either using the jumper or by removing the battery won't do any harm to your pc. What it will do is erase any personal settings you or someone has made in the bios, e.g. passwords. Everything in the bios will be returned to factory default.

Once you have cleared your CMOS (remember replace the battery/jumper to how they were before) you will still be able to boot to your desktop and run things as normal but you should be able to get into your bios and see what settings you can adjust becasue you have now cleared the password that was on it.

If you are completely new to this a few things to remember before you go diving inside your pc case:

only put your hands inside the case once the system has been shut down,
you have removed the power cable,
you have statically discharged yourself (by touching a metalic and earthed object) or ideally you are wearing a earthed wire/strap.

then you run the least chance of doing any harm to your system.

Once you've read up on your manual and google searches perhaps go into your bios and have another look at the settings. its also well worth buying an aftermarket cooler and some decent thermal paste.

Read up and good luck.

killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I've cleared the CMOS, it was easier than i thought.

I cant find the option to adjust everything on the BIOS.

rob_cunningham

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I had a quick look at your motherboard manual and also the Asus forum for your board for you.

at first glance it looks very limiting what you can adjust in the bios to up the speed of your chip. However, some seem to be able to on the asus forum but it may require a bios update. you can find out how to do this in your manual.

Others have mentioned a "top performance" mode that you can select in your bios - this may be an option for you other than selecting load default values. Difference between the two would be default is a fail safe mode which should boot without any problems and top performance will set everything to the max rated values/speeds for you automatically. however, if there is a compatibilty issue with a component it may not boot/post which will require going back into the bios and resetting back to default or if you cannot clearing the cmos once again.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070701234646687&board_id=1&model=P5VD2-VM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

The things above would be te first steps to try. look to see you if you have this top performance mode first, if not then look into updating the bios. remember to follow the instructions exactly in updating bios. Best option for you would be to use Asus' update programme in XP/vista because it will check the bios flash is compatible first.

Also noticed there isn't an option to change the voltage of the vcore (CPU voltage) this will limt overclocking. Not a bad thing if you are unsure what you are doing as there is less chance of you causing harm to your system!

seems like the only real way to go if you want to OC your system is to BSEL mod your CPU. I am not brave enough to do this myself, yet, but also have not had reason to. basically it involveds taking out your CPU and shorting a couple of pins with a silver contact pen. What this does is make the CPU tell the motherboard that it is runs at a different speed i.e. 1066fsb instead of 800fsb. the advantage of this is that there is not need to go into the bios to change anything (or if you cannot at all) and also because the cpu tells the motherboard it has a new/higher stock speed everything else runs at stock i.e. everything else runs at normal speeds - your motherboard just thinks it has a faster cpu installed. this doesn't mean doing this your system will be running stable at a higher speed. other things to consider is additional heat prodcution becasue its running faster and also becasue it is running faster it may require extra voltage to run it stable. but again extra volatge will mean extra heat! apparently you can revert to how it was before by cleaning off the pen.

Have a look at these links first is someone with same board and cpu as yours. second is all about BSEL and VID (voltage) modding:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070630183237859&board_id=1&model=P5VD2-VM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/341123-intel-bsel-vid-mod-guide.html

Have a good read and decide if this is the way to go. if you do, only do the 1066 bsel mod - your board won't support an fsb of 1333. try it and stress test it. if its not stable and the temps are not too high then look into a VID mod to up the CPU's stock voltage too.

Good luck & good reading. Perhaps the more experienced members here can expand more on this subject for you and provide some more info on the possible risks???

killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
i Checked if i have a 'Top Performance Mode' but it isn't there. I can edit the vcore in the motherboard. I Will most probaly think about updating the bios and then i will bsel mod.

rob_cunningham

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
What cooler have you got? is it a stock intel cooler? i would strongly suggest getting a decent cooler. at the very least run Prime95 on your system as it is now and check to see what temp you system runs while under load. Google Prime95 and download and also a temp probe such as HW monitor, Real temp or Core temp - all can be downloaded for free.

Once you know your temps at max load compare them to what your max temps are in this sticky:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ture-guide

if you have some head room on your CPU's max temps see if you can do a mild OC in your bios. following this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] uals-guide

JSC mentioned these before so hopfully you've read them - i found them really useful.

its worth looking into what you can do in the bios before bsel mod.

rob_cunningham

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
sounds good. i assume that's at idle. google and download prime95 and run it for a for an hour or so and report back max temps. Use Large ffts in Prime.

killahk

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I Used Prime 95 For a Hour, The Temps Are:
Core #0 High : 57 Degrees Celcius
Core #2 High : 56 Degrees Celcius