One year old homebuild, no POST!!!

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Hi everyone, I've enjoyed a lot of advice off these forums and a great deal of appreciation goes out to everyone who helps newbies like me =)

I built a computer last summer, here are the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
CPU: e6420, normally 2.13Ghz (had it overclocked to 3.2Ghz :D )
Cooler: Big Copper Zalman Cooler
Graphics Card: BFG 8800GTS
Harddrives: A 500GB and a 160GB Seagate
DVD Drives: 2 of em

This has been a really great gaming machine and I have lots of fun with it playing TF2 CS:S, crysis etc. Anyway, this morning I turned it on, everything was fine, I opened up firefox surfed planethalflife...Then it started getting blocky, the mouse would move for a second then it would freeze. Then it completly froze. This has happened before, rarely, but this time when I restarted, it would not POST. No beeps at all. I have no idea what could have happened. Does anyone have any ideas, and how to fix it??? Thanks in advance,
Thiox

P.S - The overclock was stable, and at highest load temp would never go above 60C

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
More Info:

PSU is an OCZ GameXtream 600W

When I turn on the computer, I hear the HD spin up and all the fans start going. The DVD-drives lights are flashing though, which isn't normal and when I press the eject button, they don't pop out.

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Problem Resolved!!!

I opened up my computer, took off the cooler, took of the cpu and slotted it back in. I then cleared CMOS, took out the graphics card, gave it a clean along with the rest of the inside of my computer. Plugged my computer back in and BOO YA, it POSTED! It gave me a few bios options (shows the quality of the MOBO) and it started up! I'll have to re-overclock now, but I don't care, it works! Thanks for everyone's input :),
Thiox

P.S - I'll leave this topic for reference purposes.

royalcrown

Distinguished
the graphics card wouldn't mess w his his drives though afaik, unless has card was crashing the system during post (which can also make your cmos corrupt). He prob had a cpl things goin on.