Heat from the 4850 we didnt read about

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Fan
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 18, 2008 6:07:27 AM

Something interesting happened to me today. I would like to state firstly, that my case is very well ventilated, I have a thermaltake armor, with a 2nd i-cage for extra intake, an additional 120mm fan blowing under my 4850, and an 80mm leaning downwards facing the back of the pcb, leaning on the cpu heatsink.

Ridiculous? kinda, but im not paying a penny on a new cooler til the accelero twin turbo comes out.
Anyways on to the point of this thread, ive benched this card with a few games, with in game benchies and standard gameplay, with the fan at 14% (stock speed) i never surpassed 85C

I was playing GRID today for about 20 mins, I forgot to change my profile to 45% fan speed, I hear the fan start to boost on and off. alt+tab, open control center, 96C -.-

what more can i say than lol + wtf??
I quickly boosted fan to 100% opened case, and faced air con. at it, droped to 36 :D 

I use to think ppl were to stupid to realize the fan was just slow and the hs wasn't really that bad, but 96 degrees? sheesh! I clearly stand corrected :heink: 

More about : heat 4850 didnt read

August 18, 2008 9:49:13 AM

I did the same thing only my 4870 never got passed 90C. To fix this, I made the default profile on CCC my Gaming profile which keeps the fan at 40% which idles at 40C and while playing games 55C max....

I usually have headphones on anyways so I don't care about it being loud.

Keep the fan on brotha!
August 18, 2008 10:38:31 AM

My old 1900xt used to spike that high, or a lil higher at 93. To slow, and hsf is underpowered. Thats exactly why I havnt bought one yet. The dual slots are starting to come out, and Ill be there spending my greenbacks
Related resources
August 18, 2008 8:15:34 PM

I just ordered a 4850 myself but I view it as the weakest part of my build. With so many posts on this sort of thing, and no fan speed mod proposed in their control ctr as part of a future driver update, you got to wonder if ATI is banking on the failure of 4850's and 4870's in a year or two. We are all just supposed to spend more $$$ replacing them. I think GM and Ford suffered big time for this mistake.
August 18, 2008 8:53:28 PM

Im with JDJ on this. Its my standard buying plan anyway. I always wait for the non stock cards with the OC and better cooling before i buy new tec.

Mactronix
August 18, 2008 8:55:53 PM

14% fan speed is a little low to have the card idling at. especially with all those case fans, you can comfortably up the fan speed to 30-40% without anymore noise and your card will never top 60C

problem solved
August 18, 2008 10:05:28 PM

i did the same , running mine at 40% fan speed , i suggest the same solution as im going to do on my 4870 , wait for the new aftermarket coolers to arrive and get one asap , im waiting on the thermalright T-Rad2 as its got x-fire compatibilty
August 18, 2008 11:13:32 PM

You can't compare the 48XX series card to any other card on the market. People in masses are freaking out because of the high temps but AMD designed the 48XX series cards to run hot.

The chips in the ATI 48XX series cards (RV770) are made from AMD's new A12 grade Silcone. The 38XX series were made from A11 silcone which does not have anywhere near the same thermal threshold as the A12. ATI purposely increased the clocks on the 48XX series knowing the cards would run hot because the silicone could handle it.

Temps of 85c would kill a 38XX series card or just about any Nvidia card in less than a year.

Supposedly this card can handle it but I still think ATI still should have made a higher default fan speed so consumers would not be as concerned about the heat.
August 19, 2008 5:08:52 AM

I am very well aware that 14% fan speed is to low, so dont tell that to me, tell it to ati, and i know I should up the fan speed, if you check again, I stated I had forgoten to boost the fan speed.

I just wanted to bring this up because I read no reviews anywhere of the temps passing 86C, which is lame, because I can reproduce 96C np in GRID

Besides, im waiting for this bad boy to come out mid next week, according to ncix.com anwyays (Accelero twin turbo), which is the only site I found it on so far.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=166

Oh and by the way *surfbum, my card reached 76~78 degrees with 60% fan speed, I think it's just GRID, because I cant reproduce this heat with COD4, world in conflict or supreme commander
August 19, 2008 9:07:03 AM

the associate said:

I use to think ppl were to stupid to realize the fan was just slow and the hs wasn't really that bad, but 96 degrees? sheesh! I clearly stand corrected :heink: 

Guess that's never happened before on any other card, right? :sarcastic: 
Geez you'd think you slept right through the GF8800GT, X1900, GF7800GTX-512, GF6800U and X800/850XT series cards.

As for the temps and stability, the X1800 & X1900 had higher GPU temps, however the GF7900 was the one that had an overheating problem prompting a product line 'reload' by companies like eVGA.

Temperature alone doesn't mean much if the part is designed to handle it. The major issue is getting the heat out of your PC, you need to make sure that if you buy an HD4850, even with an Accelero, that you have sufficient case airflow to remove the heat effectively.
August 19, 2008 1:26:42 PM

Just download Radeon Bios Editor and make a custom fan profile, then flash the bios onto your card.

I have it so that it is at 25% when less than 60, 30% when it gets to 70, and 35% when it gets to 75. I also have a few more steps above and below that, but it never gets above 75 and never really below 60, so I don't remember what I set it as. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the 4870 though. But you can still do the same thing, you just might need higher speeds.

At 30%, it's still quieter than all my fans (Antec 900 all on low, Tuniq Tower on lowest speed). I can hear it at 35%, but not to much, and by the time it gets up to that speed I'm in the middle of a game, so it doesn't bother me.

So pretty much, if they would have made this the standard in the bios to begin with, it would have a reputation for staying relatively cool, and being pretty quiet. But this is the 4870.
August 19, 2008 3:31:15 PM

to theGreatGrapeApe

Yes, i did skip through the 8800gt, x1900, 7800gtx and x800/850 xt series card. I had a 6800 ultra during that time by the way, I never passed 75 degrees so i dont see how it compares to 97. And yes i knew about the 8800gt and x1900 series, where did i ever say im freaking out because of the heat this cardmakes?

to yadge

I just said, i am very well aware you can increase the fan speed, i stated this in my first post as well

And does no one bother reading through my entire firt post? I clearly stated how well ventilated my case is.

I guess my post somehow wasn't clear enough, let me try again.

I know this card heats up alot, I know it can handle it, I know i can increase the fan speed, yes i know...

All i was doing, was stating how I got to 97 degrees, and i find it odd because i found no review any where bringing the heat above 87C.
Also...I can only reach this heat while playing GRID, no other game heats the card this much.
August 19, 2008 6:12:04 PM

the associate said:

Yes, i did skip through the 8800gt, x1900, 7800gtx and x800/850 xt series card. I had a 6800 ultra during that time by the way, I never passed 75 degrees so i dont see how it compares to 97.

However most reviewers surpassed 80C quite easily, many of which were able to break 90C on the underclocked GT. Once again it's a question of particulars to your situation. But it should come as no surprise, and on it's own doesn't mean much without context.

Quote:
All i was doing, was stating how I got to 97 degrees, and i find it odd because i found no review any where bringing the heat above 87C.
Also...I can only reach this heat while playing GRID, no other game heats the card this much.

Actually there's more to it than just stating your GPU reached 97 degrees. It's the additional commentary that gets you this reaction, because your statements are judgements, but based on nothing much (what is the effect of 98C? Stability? Heat?)
You don't mention anything else other than the GPU read 98c.
Is 98c in passive cooling heating up a PC as much as 88C with a fan blowing 200CFM directly into the case?. It may be aeffective enough to cool the GPU, however if the rest of a case's thermal management is in question it might be an issue.

As for the reviewers, not many review long periods of gaming, and many review in open test rigs, or rigs with great airflow, so it's not surprising that few were above 87C, but that's not to say that higher on it's own is an issue, it depends alot on what that temperature does to the GPU and what it does to other parts.

I mention this because another thread simply bemoans the temperature, however the card is ejecting most of the heat out of the case, so I'd much prefer a hot exhaust than a a slightly cooler recirculated air temp, especially when both issues can be aided by increasing the fan speed (which people have done since the hot X800/GF6800 series cards to lower temps).

There's alot of post out there with the "Oh my GPU reaches X degrees", but it's not the first time this has happened, and like before, it doesn't mean much on it's own without something related to it.
My mobile GPU reaches over 75C quite often, but it's likely more stable and reliable at that tempreature than a GF8600M, due to it's mfr issues. Temps alone don't mean much. You always want as low as you can manage (until you reach instability in the other direction) for longevity, but you can't really compare apples and oranges, and even longevity may simply give you 5year-3 months versus 5years-1month, or 4 months verus 3 months if there's a defect/issue.
August 19, 2008 6:41:52 PM

I know they surpassed 80, I never saw 97 though, this is my MAIN POINT.
No instability, no nothing, the point of this thread was wow, look, only GRID makes my card reach 97 degrees, even at 100% fan speed it reached 78, WITHIN 5 MINUTES by the way, not a long bench if you ask me, and that in no reviews did I ever see something close to this tempurature.

Everything you are saying is correct, im not saying otherwise, it's just it seems as if you think im trying to make a point im not actually trying to make. This is just something to read, im not negotiating or judgeing anything, im just saying, wow holy hell, thats a high temp, thats wicked, and thank god I have excellent airflow.
My nb is always room temp, even though it's 1 cm away, my cpu never passes 55, my case is cool, im not worrying man :S

Don't worry, im not a moron, im only saying wow, thats it.
August 28, 2008 1:57:39 PM

i have the asus 4850 wich came with the smart doctor program so i can change my fan speed easly from my desk top . what would be too hot for this card ? i was playing time shift and it got over 85c . i thought that was too hot . so now when i play a game i put the fan to 100% . its probly over kill but i dont want to hurt my card .
September 3, 2008 9:11:43 AM

Had my AC piped into my box for ocing and saw this... had to post it somewhere.

The card is no hotter then any other good GPU, the stock cooler is shockingly bad when you take it off and actually get a look at it. Epic POS. Hard to believe this thing was produced. The materials are absolute crap, what there are of them. I have seen North Bridge coolers with more heft. Anything would be better, old cpu cooler, whatever!

The Koolance VID-485 does an excellent job at keeping a 4850 under 40c full load not using the AC. With the AC I want to OC the thing to like 800+ :bounce: 
September 3, 2008 12:57:29 PM

the stock cooler is that bad ? i dont think ive ever seen a card that cold . my 4850 is replacing a 7600gtoc . i dont rember looking at the temps on that one . i need a single slot card for the system im trying to build . i want to try multy vid cards . space is an issue sence i also need a wireless card and want to try a xfi sound card as well . other wise i would put two 4870's in it . ive ben wanting to try an intell build as well but cant pick a good board . was thinking about an amd set up . ( MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard ,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ,
AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ,
what do you guys think ? can you recamend a good intell set up that can match or beat it ?
September 3, 2008 1:42:43 PM

I think the OP's point is valid and I don't understand why the opposition to what he is saying.

His point was simple. Without using his custom fan profile the card runs high for his comfort level and reports of high default temps are true. The history of high temp hardware and the OP's not having done a five year failure rate study are irrelevant points.

My opinion, not fact is that ATI's current drivers on the 48XX cards favour low noise over low temps too much. The average consumer will never look at their temperatures but they can hear noise. The people on this forum are not the average consumer and we pay attention to temperatures. We know that high temps could shorten the life of our equipment.

I can see where some of the strong voices on this forum bring balance to some suspiciously biased threads but in this case I think the OP's comments were made in good faith. I don't see what the temps of 8800gt's or Nvidia mobile failures have to do with this topic.

Both companies made/make and will continue to make hot running hardware. I've run custom profiles on both brands of cards and have never had a card fail, yet I read of failures here all the time. Rather than look at the OP's comments as "Oh my God," something anti ATI lets jump all over this, just except it as some advice to improve your ATI experience.

One other point. Run GPUz and you can see that where CCC was reporting 96c, some other reading like GPU Temp.(MEMIO) and GPU Temp.(SHADERCORE) can be reading 7-10c higher still.

One final point. If these high temps are not a problem why has ATI gimped the Furmark test? http://en.expreview.com/2008/08/26/ati-officially-optimize-catalyst-for-furmark-making-it-run-slower/ I realize the test produces higher temps than gaming ever well but it does seem to be a concern for ATI.

September 3, 2008 3:23:01 PM

the associate said:
to theGreatGrapeApe

Yes, i did skip through the 8800gt, x1900, 7800gtx and x800/850 xt series card. I had a 6800 ultra during that time by the way, I never passed 75 degrees so i dont see how it compares to 97. And yes i knew about the 8800gt and x1900 series, where did i ever say im freaking out because of the heat this cardmakes?

to yadge

I just said, i am very well aware you can increase the fan speed, i stated this in my first post as well

And does no one bother reading through my entire firt post? I clearly stated how well ventilated my case is.

I guess my post somehow wasn't clear enough, let me try again.

I know this card heats up alot, I know it can handle it, I know i can increase the fan speed, yes i know...

You're lucky that your 6800 Ultra only hit that. Mine hit 103c and it has permanent artifacts now. I guess I should have bought a better cooler for it, Florida is a GPU killer.