Core Contact, CM TX3, or OCZ Vendetta Clearance

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Motherboard: Asus P5LD2 SE
P_500.jpg

I'd like to ask about the clearance if any of the following would have enough clearance:
- Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer 120mm
- Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer 92mm
- Cooler Master TX3
- OCZ Vendetta (ver I not II)

I've tried attaching a Scythe Ninja (the original one, not sure if it was rev B or the Plus version) with this board, but it barely cleared the memory slots and the NB. I was worried about the memory heat spreader touching the HS (around 3mm of clearance) so I returned the thing. Now I just want to replace the cooler as the intel stock is barely keeping the Pentium D 945 cool at stock speeds (around 61C at load).

Maybe those who came from a Scythe Ninja could help. Thanks.

xaira

Distinguished
the top coolers on a budget are

ccf 120
spire thermax ii
cm v8,

cpu coolers usually dont fit due to large chipset, vrm or ram heatsinks, that board will work with pretty much any cooler you can think of

oh and make sure ur case is wide enough

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Yup it is hot, I'm just preparing it if the need arises I could at least bring it to 3.8GHz when I need some speed.

I would've selected as best answer, OvrClkr just beated you to it. Thanks anyway.

Also the V8 is also a bit larger, though it'd fit with my Thermaltake Shark the cost and weight might be a problem.

I think the CCF 120 would be nice. Thanks

WoW ..... I only hear great things about the CCF, specially when they compare WC setups against the top 5 air coolers.....

I have a buddy that has his i7 920 paired with a CCF (un-lapped) and temps never reach 65c @ 4.2Ghz .....

Thank god i don't have to deal with push pins......

IMO any stock HSU is crap, unless you plan on leaving the CPU at stocks speeds forever.... The i7's stock HSU is ok but most users that have an i7 920 really didn't pay all that money to have their PC run at 2.66Ghz since they know that the CPU is capable of so much more....

As far as the "Very cost-effective solution" you would think that Intel would provide you with the neccesary mounting brackets since you already spent a Ton of cash on thier CPU.... Just does not make sense to have to spend MORE when you already paid the premium.... But then if you have the cash to buy the best you should not have a problem paying extra for whatever......

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008

We've got the D 945 working just fine with this older ASUS HSF:

VR%20Guard%20Series.1.jpg

VR%20Guard%20Series.2.jpg

VR%20Guard%20Series.6.jpg

But, there are much better HSFs available from ASUS and
from numerous other suppliers now.

MRFS

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

I have already tried 3 times seating the thing, also from the get-go I replaced the TIM with the STG-1, and the temps still hover at 60C+. Rather than trying my luck with the backplate, I think a new cheap cooler could do better.

Not all stock hsf, looking at joefriday's post brings:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251014-28-intel-boxed-coolers-suck-factor
Hey Reynod, the best factory cooler for LGA 775 is the new monster that comes with the QX9650.
http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2008/02/intel-qx9650-quad-core-extreme-has-new.html
Here's a shot of QX9650 next to the old extreme edition cooler for Pentium D:
heatsinkcomparo.jpg

Source: overclockers.com

Wiil do. Thanks.

Latest posts