Sign in with
Your question

WD MyBook 0ne Terabyte drive problem

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2009 4:42:34 PM

Everything was working smooth for a few weeks and then I started getting "Delayed Write Failure" with my WD Mybook Drive one Terabyte. I have two identical drives of this type and both starting doing this. I enabled cacheing under policies, and while that seems to speed things up, it started happening again. I read quite a bit of Google about this problem. One guy had a fix for Firewire, but I use USB 2.0, and i haven't tried it and its an old fix called Max128k Filter.

I'm not sure how complicated this problem might be, or how simple it might be. I was hoping there was a simple fix for this since I think my PC is running just fine. P5 has 2 gigs of ram, 2-4 gig CPU. Running XP-Service pack 3.

I read somewhere that if I use a USB 2.0 PCI card, this might work better then the USB slots on the motherboard. I read some thought this might make the drive write failure go away. I know many users had the problem with Esata with firewire cause I guess the theory goes the data transfers were too fast, causing a delayed write failure. That why some guy said he fixed the problem by the max 128 filter he wrote, which requires some patient and reg entries, etc.

Does anyone have a clue about these external drive errors?

thanks,
Riposa
a b G Storage
December 16, 2009 7:03:33 AM

You have to make sure that your external drive is set to "optimize for quick removal" or something similar. Right-click on the drive and select Properties. The option to change is somewhere there, IIRC.
m
l
!