720 x3... need answers and opinions

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
ok, so ive been running my 720 x3 at a speedy 3.5ghz speed with one voltage bump. i know i can go higher (3.8 tested) but i dont want my CPU's OCing ability to take a dump in a few months. So, my questions are:

1. how long would my CPU last OCed at 3.8ghz with about 1.5V?

2. is the performance from 3.5 to 3.8 worth it?

3. could my 3 year warranty be used in this case?

thanks all! :)

Solution
1. I have never had a cpu fail on me for puting 1.5V into them for long periods of time, but i hvae kept them at below 50C at max load. The cooler you keep them at those volts the longer they will last. How long till you probably upgrade your cpu again?

2a. For the heat out put and the extra power you gotta throw at it probably not. My 720 needed 1.39V to get to 3.5 but 1.57V to get to 3.8. Not worth it unless you want to say you got a Ghz OC or need that extra power. If you needed the extra power you should have got an 945 or 955 so im guessing your only doing the OC to get a little extra out of what you got. I say leave it at 3.5 cause its a solid increase.

2b. Instead of increase your core speed try to increase you NB speed to...

bmadd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
1. I have never had a cpu fail on me for puting 1.5V into them for long periods of time, but i hvae kept them at below 50C at max load. The cooler you keep them at those volts the longer they will last. How long till you probably upgrade your cpu again?

2a. For the heat out put and the extra power you gotta throw at it probably not. My 720 needed 1.39V to get to 3.5 but 1.57V to get to 3.8. Not worth it unless you want to say you got a Ghz OC or need that extra power. If you needed the extra power you should have got an 945 or 955 so im guessing your only doing the OC to get a little extra out of what you got. I say leave it at 3.5 cause its a solid increase.

2b. Instead of increase your core speed try to increase you NB speed to about 2600. When i got to 3.5Ghz on my 720 that really help to give it that extra push over the line of performance that i wanted out of it.

3. People actualy use warranty on CPUs?? I have never owned one more then 6 to 9months

Solution

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
wow! thankyou much bmadd!

and actually my CPU only needs 1.34V to be stable at 3.5 and about 1.45 to be stable at 3.7
my temps never go beyond 55C at more current VID.
and the only reason i wanted to have the extra 200mhz of cpu power is cause stalker clear sky gets soo darn laggy with high settings and dont wanna go down to medium :(

lol, yes, my last CPU was a highly OCed 5000+ with 1.47V pumped into it. barely lived longer than a year and took a dump on me. So now im being a bit more cautious with my precious 720.
if i have to change CPUs incase of failure, its not too much of a problem, more of an annoyance. I think ill just keep it at my 3.5ghz spped.

thanks again for the help m8!

TRENDING THREADS