Sign in with
Your question

Installing new CPU.... what needs to be done?

Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2008 11:34:43 PM

when it comes time to upgrade my cpu, I usually do a completely new build. This time Ive decided to upgrade my E6700 to the E8600. Ive never upgraded the CPU alone, so this is new to me.

What needs to be done? Do I need a fresh install of Vista?

What about the BIOS? I have a P5N32-E SLI board that I bought in Dec 06 which still has the original version of the BIOS on it.

thanks!

More about : installing cpu

September 29, 2008 11:56:51 PM

You will need to update your BIOS first, since the board needs the most recent BIOS version (1502) to even support the E8600.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&mod...

Click on the "Downloads" tab on the left column, and it will ask for which OS you're using (Vista 32 or 64 bit), then give you a list of downloads. There's even a tab on how to upgrade the BIOS if you're unsure.

You won't have to re-install Vista, but you'll probably have to re-activate over the phone as Vista interprets a BIOS update as a new motherboard installation. It's quick, but annoying - just tell them you upgraded your BIOS and they'll read off new activation numbers to you. (This is probably the thing I hate most about Vista.)

I do recommend that you upgrade your motherboard's chipset/audio/etc. drivers while you're at it.
September 30, 2008 12:09:54 AM

you will not have to re-activate, but you do need a bios update.

that is pretty much all, if thats all your swapping.

have fun with the new cpu, it is a big upgrade from what you had
Related resources
September 30, 2008 3:27:20 AM

Uh, don't know how you got your system to update without re-activating Vista, but you will need to reactivate. Vista checks your hardware for changes - remember, they don't want you using the same copy twice.
September 30, 2008 5:13:59 AM

I would not bother to upgrade the CPU.
If you system is working well, I would wait until Nehalem is out for a while and prices for DDR3 have come down a bit more and then do an upgrade.
September 30, 2008 5:56:49 AM

You don't have to activate Vista x64 for a bios update. I just updated mine 10 minutes ago.
September 30, 2008 6:26:41 AM

don't even bother waiting for nehalem imo.. the prices will be inflated because there won't be much seperating the processors thanks to their auto overclocking features, it will be an overpriced X58 board since it will be the only one supporting socket 1366, and you will need a new type of aftermarket cooler which may not be released for a while yet...
Core 2 FTW!
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2008 11:59:32 AM

I went from a Pentium D to a Q6600. Updated BIOS, dropped it in, rebooted, updated processor drivers (may not be required going from core 2 to core 2 but i guess it depends on feature set) and was away.

Vista didn't have any problems with it.
!