Sign in with
Your question

Crosshair II Formula + Dominator 4GB - only sees 2557MB?? [SOLVED]

Last response: in Motherboards
October 29, 2008 12:05:03 AM

Hey folks. I finished putting together a system recently and all was well for a while. I've got a Phenom 9950 Black, Asus Crosshair II formula board, and 2 sticks of 2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 memory. The build went alright, I put vista ultimate on it, etc. and everything ran fine. Then I noticed that my idle memory usage hovered around 45%. In the bios, on the main screen, it reports:

Installed Memory: 4096MB
Usable Memory: 2557MB

And consqeuently I'm only able to use around half of my memory. Yes, I'm running vista 64, and both windows and linux see that same amount - 2557.

My question is, why the **** am I only able to use 2557MB? I disabled memory remapping and the onboard GPU, and I could have sworn that that "installed" number was 4095MB when I set this thing up. I disabled all overclocking features and ran memtest twice on each individual stick, then on both installed; all passed. Any clues guys? If I run only one stick, I can most definitely use all of it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 136 V Motherboard
October 29, 2008 9:47:59 AM

Hello and welcome to the fourms mate :) 
Can u test the rams in other PC ? or try one by one,for example take out one of the sticks and see if its reporting 2GB and do this for the other one too.
Its strange that a 64BIT OS only sees 2.5gb out of 4gb
October 29, 2008 10:18:35 AM

maybe your OS is reserving a chunk of it
Related resources
October 29, 2008 1:00:13 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I've ran tests on that ram in a machine at work. They're both fine (they should be, cause I bought them about a month and a half ago.) Both will be reported at the right sizes if I try them individually; it's just the combination that throws it off.

I really don't think it's the OS, as it's the BIOS that misreports the quantity.. Also, as I said, both Windows and Linux see the same number.
October 29, 2008 2:24:43 PM

Well, a CMOS clear fixed it; kinda feel stupid that i didn't try that earlier. Wish i knew what caused it tho.

Thanks for the suggestions.

edit: I since found that enabling "memory remapping" allows me access to the rest.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2008 3:28:34 PM

Nice setup man! Same as mine!
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2008 12:44:33 PM

psycroptic_ said:
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. That board's got other problems for me though; I can't overclock, for instance http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pff... The moment I try to change the multiplier, it won't post (hangs at "DET DRAM")

The only thing the link you referenced is this > :pfff: 

????????

I'm OCd to 3.2G on air-cooling so I know unless you have a hardware problem, you should be able to reach the same.

That Core VID CPU-Z lists is wrong its actually 1.4250v HOWEVER!

Lets compare notes, it may be simply a bios setting holding you back.

List your full specs including GPU and power supply.

And the exact product ID# of the Corsair Memory

Also list the bios version your M/B is flashed to.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2008 1:13:35 PM

I'm running BIOS version 1101

Here are my Extreme Tweaker Settings, leave on Auto if a change is not referenced.

AI = Manual
CPU Freq = 200
CPU Multi = 16X
K8 NB HT Speed = 2Ghz
K8 NB HT Width = 16 16
PCI-E = 100
CPU-NB Multi = 10X
Vcore = 1.4250v
DDR2 V = 2.100v

Memory Clock Freq = DDR2 1066
Tcl = 5
Trcd = 5
Trp = 5
Tras = 15
1T/2T = 2T
Gang = Enabled
Remapp = Enabled
Skew = Auto
November 5, 2008 2:32:56 PM

Well, the BIOS oc issue kinda got resolved; I'm able to change all those values & itposts & ****. Now I'm getting problems loading windows.

I copied your settings there on my system, and I can't set the multiplier above 14x. When I do, vista won't even load; it locks hard. Even the install CD won't boot. Changing the multiplier back down to 14 (or below) lets it load fine. Of course, that also limits me to about 2.81ghz.

Is your install running succesfully with the settings you've got? (I would assume it is, otherwise you couldn't post that cpuid pic)

I'm running 1101 as well, btw. And I've got watercooling on the cpu and graphics card (9600 GT); i've never seen cpu temps above 45c, and my case has quite good ventilation, so I don't think it's a heat issue.

edit: specs:

CPU: Phenom 9950BE retail
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2) TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
GPU: nvidia 9600GT
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W RS-850-EMBA
HDs: WD Velociraptor 150GB, Caviar 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
Audio: SB Audigy 2 platinum
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2008 3:26:01 PM

psycroptic_ said:
Well, the BIOS oc issue kinda got resolved; I'm able to change all those values & itposts & ****. Now I'm getting problems loading windows.

I copied your settings there on my system, and I can't set the multiplier above 14x. When I do, vista won't even load; it locks hard. Even the install CD won't boot. Changing the multiplier back down to 14 (or below) lets it load fine. Of course, that also limits me to about 2.81ghz.

Is your install running succesfully with the settings you've got? (I would assume it is, otherwise you couldn't post that cpuid pic)

I'm running 1101 as well, btw. And I've got watercooling on the cpu and graphics card (9600 GT); i've never seen cpu temps above 45c, and my case has quite good ventilation, so I don't think it's a heat issue.

edit: specs:

CPU: Phenom 9950BE retail
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2) TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
GPU: nvidia 9600GT
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W RS-850-EMBA
HDs: WD Velociraptor 150GB, Caviar 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B0
Audio: SB Audigy 2 platinum

I'm responding to this on exactly those settings!

However I'm air cooling you're water cooling, which means you're running cooler than I am anyway or you should be!

You'll have to go the trial and error route and find your settings that work for you, for example since you're essentially running cooler you may be able to run a 16x multiplier at 1.400v core or 1.375v, so I'd suggest starting out to set your Vcore on auto and try 14X and see if you can boot into Windows and run 3Dmark03 successfully, if you can then set the Multi to 15x and repeat the test, up to 16X and beyond if you're water cooling you should or could reach a 17x multi, if any tests don't complete increase the Vcore a notch at a time and try again until you find the voltages you can run each multiplier at.

My Specs are;
CPU AMD X4 9950 BE w Zalman 9700
Corsair Dominator 2X4096-8500C5D
2 BFG 8800GT in SLI
Silverstone OP-1000W P/S
Seagate SATAII 500G HDD
ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B
Creative Xtreme Gamer Fatal!ty Pro Soundcard
June 3, 2010 8:26:51 AM

Hey .. I am also facing a similar problem with mine .... mine is 4GB installed but only 3.2 GB is shown both on bios and Windows 7. I tried Memory Hole enable option and the total RAM got reduced to 3GB. My inbuilt GPU is also Disabled...any suggestions?? thanx in advance
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 11:39:05 AM

sudhu_12 said:
Hey .. I am also facing a similar problem with mine .... mine is 4GB installed but only 3.2 GB is shown both on bios and Windows 7. I tried Memory Hole enable option and the total RAM got reduced to 3GB. My inbuilt GPU is also Disabled...any suggestions?? thanx in advance

If that is the Win7 32bit version of the OP/SYS 3.2GB showing is normal.
!