Sign in with
Your question

[New System Build] Help with display.

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2008 11:48:09 PM

Hi, here are the specs of my new system.

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

PowerSupply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ (I have two of these for a total of 4GB)

Case: Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse: Plug and Play

Ok, my problem is that I cannot get my monitor to display anything when I turn the computer on. I've set everything up and I get the computer to turn on; the fans work; the LED lights come on; and I see no smoke or other signs of problems.

I looked at the Graphics Card when the computer was running and I saw that the fan is not spinning. I switched in my old Graphics card and the fan spun when I turned the computer on.

I have the Graphics Card in the first PCI-e x16 slot on the Motherboard. I've plugged a PCI-e 6 slot from the Power Supply directly into the Graphics Card and I have also used the supplied PCI-e 6 slot. One thing I notice though is that:
I'm not sure if that is the problem, but really, any suggestions will be appreciated and helpful.

I have already got a replacement for the Graphics Card, so I think the problem is that I've messed up the wiring somewhere.

Thanks.

More about : system build display

July 27, 2008 12:11:13 AM

If I am not mistaken, a 4 pin connector from the psu goes into the motherboard where you circled it. It supplies some power to the pci-e slot.

You plug the psu 6 pin pci-e connector into the vga card. The yellow extra cable is to give you a 6 pin pci-e connector if your psu did not have one.
July 27, 2008 12:26:08 AM

Okay, first thing is to be sure your wiring it correctly. The connector you circled is for a plug FROM the power supply. put a molex power connector there. Make sure you also supply the 4 pin CPU power plug that goes to the motherboard there next to the cpu also as well. Disregard the power supply cord that came with the video card. You wont be using that. Find the 6 pin PCI-Express power cord from the power supply. Check your manual and be sure you have the right one (also be sure you dont grab the 8-pin cpu cord). Push i in and make sure its seated all the way. If the fan on the video card doesnt come on right away, then you might have a bum card.

Spunks
!