advice on components for new system

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hey all,

Hoping some of you PC gurus can help me out here a bit. I built my first computer more than eight years ago, but ever since, i've just purchased prebuilt ones. Now, i know exactly what i want to buy, but it is difficult to find a good deal on a Core 2 Duo system because everyone is pushing these darn Quads.

So i've decided, eight years later, to try building again. I'm not a PC gamer, so i do NOT need the best of everything. I run typical desktop applications with a good bit of graphics software (Illustrator and Photoshop). Here are my main requirements:

E8400 (or E8500) Intel Core 2 Duo processor
MB: a board that works well with this processor...perhaps allowing me to overclock if i so choose in the future
XFX 512 MB Video card --- i'm looking at $50 at newegg

I do not need the best, coolest, or newest case. I do not need the most powerful psu. Here's what i've got thus far, but i'm not too happy with the MB.

MB: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3797456&sku=I69-2168
From what i've read, this MB cannot be overclocked. It's a basic MB that does the job...which, in general, is OKAY for me. Since i'm not a gamer, there's really no need for extra PCI-E slots (not need to worry about SLI). But i've read plenty of bad things about this one...and the fact that it can't work with overclocking.

Are there any SIMILARLY PRICED mother boards that you all recommend? Boards that are good name, good quality, and can tolerate overclocking this cpu? I looked a bit on newegg and saw a bundle with the E8500 cpu. It comes with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Would any of you recommend that one? Or perhaps a similar item?

Thanks for your help.

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
when choosing motherboard you will search for its chipset first
and how it can give you the overclocking space for the cpu & ram a
nd then the design and layout and how much pci slot and RAM bank and SATA ports USB etc
i will say go with GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
for the cpu the E8500 will be good for you
for the graphic card (i know you are not into games but i still encourage you to pay a little and get the HD 4670
check this this combo deal her in newegg you can get one with a 2x2 ocz 800Mhz ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16814131122&SubCategory=48&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the Gigabyte board (at least from two replies thus far) is the winner.

With regards to video, I'm currently set to get this video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150247

Why is this card, the one you are suggesting, better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127383

The xfx card had a TON more reviews, which usually means a TON more purchases. Only a handful of ppl, in comparison, reviewed (and perhaps purchased) the ati crossfire.

Just curious why you think it is better.

Thansk.

ajhen314

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I would say that you should get a quad if you are using graphical programs as they will take advantage of the multiple cores and allow you to multitask better. As for the ati card the only reason the 4670 has less reviews is because it has been out for a shorter period of time but it will run circles around the 8600gt. Really it is no contest and for the money it cannot be beat by any of Nvidias offerings.

Yeah, that Gigabyte is a good board.

He thinks the HD 4670 is better than the 8600GT because it's about twice as fast in games. You may not care about that, but still why get a weaker card if the price is similar. Also, the HD 4760 is based on newer 55nm technology and that means better performance per Watt. It's also a better match for the Crossfire motherboard you're buying.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Oh, and when/if you give you opinion on the MBs, please know that i would, ideally, like to overclock the cpu in the future.

Thanx.

P45 is very good for overclocking. In fact, it's the best available unless you count the much more expensive X48. The X48 doesn't make sense for you because you're not a gamer and don't need Crossfire. So yeah, pick something based on P45.

The GA-EP45-UD3R sounds very appropriate here. 3 PCI slots and 8 SATA ports is excellent and pretty rare these days. You could also look at the P5Q Pro (lose one PCI slot but gain a second PCI-E slot). The second PCI-E slot can be useful if you want to add a cheap 8400GS or something to handle monitors #3 and #4.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
ya'll have been so helpful, i may as well even ask a couple more ?s.

tigerdirect has 2 GB of ram (1gb x2) for $20 after mail in rebate...and this is corsair. However, it is PC6400 DDR2 800MHz. The Gigabyte MB supports more than 800 MHz for RAM. am i missing out soooo much by taking this great deal?

Also, ? for you on the case. Currently, i've picked an Ultra case from tigerdirect for $40:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2337812&sku=ULT33179

I'm set to get a power supply from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

With rebates, that's $75 for case and psu (500W). Is there any similarly priced ones that you all recommend?

Thanks again.

You should get 4 GB of RAM, especially if you use Vista. If you buy 1 GB sticks you fill all the DIMM slots on the MB and can't add more if you want 8 GB later. I'd look for something like 2x2GB. Still, considering how cheap DDR2 is, it doesn't matter either way.

There's a $108 combination case+PSU (Antec Sonata + 500W Antec Earthwatts) if you want.
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-sonat...w-power-supply-antec/q/loc/101/204559259.html

I got one like that at work. It's bad for gaming (just one fan), it has a door (which I find annoying but some of my coworkers like), and it's very quiet.

Pick a video card first, then pick a case that has enough room for it. It should be easier for you than for gamers because you won't need a huge high-end gaming card.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for the response.
Okay, i'm set to order now; i have two carts ready to click "proceed to checkout". Just want to confirm that i have everything i need.

■Case & PSU.
■MB.
■2 - 120mm fans (one at front and at back)...the front fan is meant to be for intake...but it's just the same fan. Will that work just by turning it around? or do i actually need to by a special "intake" fan?
■CPU (retail box...i assume this comes with heatsink and fan.?.)
■Thermal gel (arctic silver 5)...is this even necessary though? Is the default 3 strips of gel on the cpu by intel enough?
■Graphics Card.
■RAM
■Harddrive
■DVD writer and DVD rom

Am i missing anything? When you parts like this, does each part come with everything i should need? Meaning, i don't need extra screws or this or that?

Thanks for all the help.

Screws should come with the case.
At least they did come with my case - I got a whole bag and I don't even know what some of them are for :)

SATA cables should come with the motherboard.

Yes, CPU retail box means heatsink and fan too.

The Arctic Silver 5 is not really necessary, but it would lower temperatures.

Not sure why you'd buy a DVD ROM. I'd buy a second writer for a few bucks more, or just one writer.

No such thing as special intake fan. Just make sure your fans point in the same direction - one must push and one must pull.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
the DVD rom is stupid. but it's for copying dvd's if i made some and then wanted to copy them. unless i'm missing something, why spend, even if it's just 10 bucks more, that extra to get a 2nd dvd burner when i really only need a basic dvd rom?

but maybe there's something i'm not thinking of.

thanks.

I usually copy DVDs to the hard disk first, that way I don't risk buffer underrun errors if the reader is slower than the writer or it discovers a scratch and fails. But anyway, yeah, it makes sense now.

Good luck with the build! Let us know how it works.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
thanks.

when i get all these parts next week, should i dig up this thread and just add to it if i have any questions on the build, or woudl it be best to just make a new thread. and when I say questions, i literally mean the steps of how to build a computer.

Is there a how-to guide somewhere? perhaps something that you all recommend.

Thanks.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
My parts should arrive today. Just wanted to inquire about this Arctic Silver 5. You said it is not necessary but woudl lower temps.

All boxes are arriving today EXCEPT the one with arctic silver...and it pains me to wait till tomorrow for the build.

Does anyone know if the temps lower sooo much with Arctic Silver. If it's not a huge amount, i can wait. Maybe in a few months, i'll want to go ahead and learn about overclocking and overclock my processor (it's the e8500). At that time, i could always remove the default "gel" (from the 3 strips) and then add the arctic silver...although i've heard that is a pain and will have to learn about how to remove the default gel.

Any ideas? Does that sound like a good plan? Or perhaps i should just be patient and wait for the A.S. and build my system tomorrow.

Thanks.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Isn't overclocking just changing some "stuff" on the cpu.?. I've never done or even read about this. And if i do overclock, i'm not looking to do so excessively...nothing that could even come close to damaging my system. I've read that getting the e8500 to reach 3.6ish is rather easy minimal changes.

Do you have a suggested resource for beginners on this?

Thanks again.

cazint

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Perhaps nevermind, as i found and have browsed through this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Damn, that seems like a lot of "stuff" to do in order to overclock. As mentioned, i was only looking to get it to 3.6 GHz for now. The chip's default settings are 3.16 (9.5 multiplier times 333 fsb). So if i increase fsb to 400, that would come to 3.8GHz. And my memory is DDR2-800, which as you know is 400 fsb.

To achieve that, do you think my changes would be kinda minimal...or will i ultimately give myself a headache trying to figure this out?

Thanks.

Oh yes, you will give yourself headaches. There are all sorts of BIOS settings to deal with, and they differ from a motherboard to another. Anyway, I'd suggest you assemble the PC and use it for a month without overclocking. That way if something goes wrong it will be easier to figure out what - fewer variables.